How do you keep wam under a dry suit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use military weight poly pro (costs about $40 for a set) with a Bare 200g jumpsuit. I am comfortable for at least 45mins in the ice (shell suit). I've had 400g underwear and thought it was too hot for any type of exertion -- pretty buoyant too. It didn't fit well, so I got rid of it.

I suspect your fleece undergarmet is the problem. Make sure you don't wear any cotten products at all. Make sure you have food in your tummy, that will help keep you warm too. You won't see much difference with argon unless you're using helium mixes -- you don't want to use helium for suit inflation. If you want, you can put heat packs in your undersuit pockets -- these are nice :thumb:.

I would say get rid of the fleece suit and get a real jumpsuit -- either 200g or 400g. I think I paid less than $200 for my Bare underwear. I would recommend the Bare, but most any should work OK as long as it fits (shouldn't be too tight). Your hood and gloves/mitts shouldn't allow much water exchange. I use 1/4" gloves in ice water with no problem, and mitts are VERY warm. Your hood should have a seal around your face too.

Good luck.

Mike

Argon will make a difference (sorry Yoop) but not the way a lot of people use it.

A few squirts of argon into a suit purged with air does little to change the thermal efficiency...

The trick is to pre-purge with argon before the dive...several times... We do this from a steel 72 I have filled with argon so as not to deplete the 6cf argon bottle we carry...

But even if you don't have an argon inflation system during your dive... pre-purging with argon works....

A few squirts of air into a suit purged with argon does little to change the thermal efficiency....

Theoretically, UP is right, but I never felt a difference on air/nitrox dives -- neither did the guys I dove with. It wasn't worth the expense to me.

Later.

Mike

Originally posted by Lost Yooper
Theoretically, UP is right, but I never felt a difference on air/nitrox dives -- neither did the guys I dove with. It wasn't worth the expense to me.

Later.

Mike
Mike... tell the truth.... did you pre-purge your suits with argon or were you using methane???:warhammer

Jeepster....Out of curiosity, have you taken a "Dry Suit Diver" course yet?
Dear texasmike (Thanks for you concern), I did take a drysuit course, but I had heard many different things from many different divers. I never really had a problem with warmth because I never dove in extremly cold water. I went diving a while ago, and all I can remember was how cold it was. I figured I needed to rethink my thermal approach, so I decided to ask on the board. Thank you
Jeepster0000

Yeah, we purge our suits much like you described here and on that other post going on. The 72 filled with argon is a good idea. We're using the 14cf bottles on the back, so they last quite a few dives. Are you using the 6cf bottle on your belt or on the back tanks?

Could you imagine the stench of methane?

:D

Mike

Originally posted by Lost Yooper
Are you using the 6cf bottle on your belt or on the back tanks?

Neither.... Andrew came up with a way to mount it to the plate in tight and inside the wing... it is held in a loop of weight belting that is attached to the plate with zip ties and secure with a loop of bungee over the valve handle.... it is super easy to take on and off even while wearing the harness but is super secure... it is far better that George's wreck argon set up.... I have a picture of the webbing that I will put in my profile but I don't have one yet of the bottle in place...

Back
Top Bottom