How do you keep wam under a dry suit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jeepster0000

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I own a dui trilam dry suit. I have been diving with the dry suit and found that it was not that warm. I want to be able to dive in real cold water without trouble. I have a set of long johns underneath and also a fleece suit. It still is not as warm as I expected. My 6.5 mil farmer/jacket seems warmer than my drysuit. Is there any magical layer that anyone knows about for dry suits. I have yet to try argon. Does that make much of a difference? I was thinking about using a radient heat layer like the aluminum fabric, but I think you sweat alot with that. Would that work with a drying agent? I know I have alot of quesitons, so thanks to everybody who helps.

Sorry I can't help with your question....I don't own a dry suit. I just wanted to welcome you to the Board!

There's alot of cold water divers here who can talk to you about their underwear. :eek:ut:

I came across the same situation you described when I first bought my dry suit. For me, diving in water that 50F or warmer at depths shallower than 60', I often feel warmer in my 7mm wetsuit than the drysuit. In deeper depths or colder water, I am better off in my drysuit. The drysuit will also keep you much warmer between multiple dives.

The trick with drysuit insulation is to wear multiple layers. Try long johns or a union suit covered by your flannel and then sweats. Just expect to wear a lot of weight. Running tights work well in keeping your legs warm and wool socks are a must for many people.

Polypro underwear (from Wal-Mart) and a thinsulate jump suit keep me warm and toasty under my tri-lam, so far down to 38 degrees.

The woolenunderware made for skiing under a thinsulate suite does it for me. And warm socks are a must. Don't forget to protect the neck area and hands sufficiently otherwise you lose a lot of heat. :cold:

Please, also note that a too bulky undersuit can interfer with air movement and maybe even block the exhoust valve.

So my advice is to find someting really warm but not too thick.

Don't forget that the largest advantage IMHO is that you don't have to strip to wet swim suit in sleet and frezing wind.

Enjoy your drysuit.:cold:

Pia

Hi jeepster0000:

Welcome to the board from the cold waters of New England. Here in Massachusetts many divers dive in dry suits even on the hottest days of summer. Water temperatures in early spring are in the low 30's at depth and never get mush warmer than the 50's or low 60's in summer. Weezle Diving Services makes a great cold water undergarment suitable for the coldest of diving situations. Click on the following link and check it out for yourself. The company is over sea's but they have many dealers here in the US.
http://www.weezle.demon.co.uk/wds/home.html

Dive Safe .....................Arduous

I agree with Arduous. Get a set of good underwear and use it with the suit. I also have a set of Weezle underwear. It is the Extreme weight. A drysuit is supposed to keep you dry, not toasty warm. That is what the underwear is for.

Arduous, where do you live in NE? I just moved to the North Shore. Going diving anytime soon?

Eric

I would recommend buying an actuall 'B"grade thinsulate underwear from a diving manufaturer such as DUI, Viking, or Bare.
The reason why peaople get cold is they are wearing something not desighned for diving the material has to be able to breathe and insulate you at the same time thats why fleece doesn't work.

I'm using the viking b400 gram thinsulate and it is good for ice diving and and diving below 50 degrees F.:D Even here in the great lakes there is drastic thermoclines Lake Erie for example summer time 75 degrees till 60 fet than she drops big time 40 degrees on the bottom at 100 feet etc....

So 200gram thinsulte minimum for cold water and 400 gram for freezing the balls off a brass monkey cold water!!

Good Luck

NINJA:ninja:

regardless of your choice you MUST be careful that the material
does not *pill* and clog the dump valve. It must also not be
so loose that it will block the valve.

Jeepster....

Out of curiosity, have you taken a "Dry Suit Diver" course yet?

Your question is one that is covered during the course. And if you haven't taken the course, I highly recommend it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom