How do you feel about Chinese made gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pcb installation and final assembly are pretty much all in china though.

... but they very carefully make sure it all's assembled from 100% flag-pin-compliant components only.

The same way I feel about poorly made gear, regardless of where it came from. Of course it can be interesting trying to find out where anything actually comes from.

The question to answer about "cheap" gear, is it going to be worth the price. I have been known to buy substandard tools for one use jobs, as buying top of the line, renting, or hireing out the job would have cost much more. As long as it looks like it will take care of the job, I'm good.

Picked up a cheap $68 Chineese ultrasonic cleaner, after five years it is still cleaning reg, and other, parts. Without a cheap alternative, I would have to do all my cleaning manually. Well worth the price.

As far as Scuba gear goes, my bar is a bit higher as the conditions are more severe. I'm not a "it's life support" fan. If any recreational NDL diver can not survive an equipment failure, they probably should rethink the quality of instruction they received, rather than thinking their gear choice will make them safe.

I'm old enough to remember when the same things were said about Japan.

Bob

Well a slightly shady chap in the dive industry tried to sell me a Chinese dive torch. He flicked it off and on several times to convince me. I was sceptical , I took it outside to try it, I flicked the switch and it did not work. He appeared offended when I laughed, he had bought twenty.

Well a slightly shady chap in the dive industry tried to sell me a Chinese dive torch. He flicked it off and on several times to convince me. I was sceptical , I took it outside to try it, I flicked the switch and it did not work. He appeared offended when I laughed, he had bought twenty.

:rofl3: He must be new at it.

Over here they buy a container and resell at 60% markup on spamazon/fleebay. So if half work, it's still worth it. If yours doesn't, they just refund your money and tell you to not bother sending it back.

I'm old enough to remember when the same things were said about Japan.

I am only old enough to remember whichever Back to the Future it was where the 50's Doc says "it's made in Japan, no wonder it blew up" and the 80's Marty answers "wha'd you mean, all the best stuff's made in Japan" :wink:

I am only old enough to remember whichever Back to the Future it was where the 50's Doc says "it's made in Japan, no wonder it blew up" and the 80's Marty answers "wha'd you mean, all the best stuff's made in Japan" :wink:

Japan has earned its reputation for high quality design, manufacturing and integrity. China has also earned its reputation for low quality design, manufacturing and lack of integrity.

The politically correct answer:

"It is not about the place where it is made. China can make good gear just like anybody else. You should not judge a region or country to determine if they have good gear." blah blah

The true answer:

China has some good stuff (if it's name brands), but way too many gear items coming from there are poorly made, dont pass the inspection or safety protocols, use cheap materials, and aren't built to last. I wouldn't trust life saving equipment made in china unless it was a very reputable brand

I think China (more specifically the items made there) are going through a process of improvement because that is what the world market is dictating. In my real job I am involved in the metals industry and there has been a learning curve in regards to quality and traceability for higher grade products.
I think the guiding light for me is not really where it is made but what company is having it made there? If it is a reputable company then they will have quality procedures in place to ensure that they are getting good products.

I don’t have a lot of trust in communists.

Maybe you shouldn't have voted for people who approved selling of all your manufacturing to them, then? Like, you know, Reagan?

Back
Top Bottom