How do you clip your dive computer down?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

emttim

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Ok, so I have all of my gear outside of a tank and hood, but the problem is that everytime I dive, I find that I can either have my dive computer clipped to a D-ring on my BC, which is fine as far as keeping it in close and not letting it drag on the bottom, but then I can't use the damn compass on the back of it. To use the compass, every single time I've had to unclip it and then just hold it the entire time I want to use the compass. What do you guys with console-style dive computers use as far as clips to hold the comp in place but still be able to use the compass on it? I'm up for suggestions...and yes, once I get the money, I'm upgrading to a wrist computer unit.

Well, when I was using a console I just did like you do, and unclipped it when needed. As a thought, why not look into a wrist compass since that will be a lot cheaper than a wrist computer. One other thought, can you remove the computer from your console and buy an inexpensive wrist boot for it, if you're going to go down that road anyway?

Well, when I was using a console I just did like you do, and unclipped it when needed. As a thought, why not look into a wrist compass since that will be a lot cheaper than a wrist computer. One other thought, can you remove the computer from your console and buy an inexpensive wrist boot for it, if you're going to go down that road anyway?

I was afraid of that...my dive buddy actually pointed that out, but I have an Oceanic VEO 100...as far as I can tell, it's specifically a console version, it's not a modular computer that can be removed and placed on a wrist band. :/ I just don't like the idea of having to buy a wrist compass as well when I have one on my dive computer....bleh. Well, so I have something to look forward to as far as upgrades, what would be a good upgrade as far as dive computers go for when I do get a wrist-mounted one?

Personally, I use a retractor for my console - I have the same issue with my compass. I still have to hold it when taking a heading or following a line but it's easy to find. I clip it across my chest on the right side (easy to glance down at SPG that way). Retractors have their drawbacks - entanglement hazard and prone to breakage - but it works for me at the moment. My computer is on my wrist FWIW.

Cheers,
Lilla

I use one of those self retracting clips. It is attached to the boot and I clip the retracting end to a D ring on the other side of my chest. That way teh computer/compus/SPG is in front of my chest where I can find it, and to use the compus all I do is pull it out away from my body and into position. When finished it zips back aginst my chest, out of the way.

I don't like the wrist mounted computers because every diver I have been in the water with looses their wrist mounted computer/compus/depth gauge when the wrist strap unexpectedly come undone. Yea, I know it's not DIR or PADI or what ever philosophy, but I have never lot my computer.

Well before you jump at a new computer, have your shop have a look. I don't know if this applies to all VEO100's but the one I had was in console or wrist, it could go in or out. My suggestion as to a wrist computer would be first off get something nitrox compatible in case you choose to go that route in the future. The Oceanic's are quite nice. I'm currently using a Cressi Archimedes II which is the same as the Dive Rite Nitek Duo, and the Tusa IQ700, and the Apeks Quantum. Very nice computer that can handle 2 different nitrox mixes.

The VEO 100 I have is Nitrox-capable, actually, because yeah it's a good idea to have that option. I plan to take AOW next semester anyway so I'm going to need it.

I'll try the retractor then...I seem to recall having tried one during my certification dives and the thing stopped retracting after like one or two dives, it just pulled out and then wouldn't retract back, but maybe I just got unlucky and got a defective one. If it's a big issue with losing wrist-mounted units because of the wrist band breaking, I'd rather just stick to the console....I'd rather be slightly inconvenienced than be out a dive computer.

I bought a nice little setup from my LDS that clips to chest area D ring on my BC. The clip itself is followed by about 1 1/2" of plastic coated spring coil and then that attaches to the back of the console. Keeps the console within a few inches of my chest when not in use but allows me to pull it up and out when I need to check the gauges or use the compass. Let go and it pops right back down and out of the way.

Personally I've never known anyone that lost a wrist computer. I swap mine out from rubber straps to bungees that I can replace on a regular basis if they get a little worn. I prefer the convenience of being able to just look at my wrist if I need.

I have mine on my right wrist, compass on the left wrist. My wife's computer is on a 3-hole console attached to a D-ring on her BC using a small retractor. Either way works fine.

Back
Top Bottom