How do you clip your dive computer down?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To reinforce some opinions here --

I have been diving a console from day 1. Computer, SPG, compass. I use a retractor, Cetacea - High Force. I have been diving the SAME retractor for 4 years. Never had a failure, never had an entanglement. I clip it to a D-ring on my right chest. Console hangs right at chest level, mid-sternum. It's perfect. I can be in mid-fin kick, glance downward toward my chest and read my gauges. It is just perfect.

If I need to inspect the console closer, I just grab it and pull it out. Retracts automatically. Never had a problem, failure, entanglement or otherwise. The Cetacea brand (I am sure others too), come with the niftly little squeeze clips for attaching gear. If I need to do some serious compass work, I unclip the console from the retractor and hold the compass in front of me (standard compass nav position). When I am done with compass work, I reach down and snap the console back to the retractor.

I regularly wear 7mm wet gloves and do not find the squeeze clips to pose any challenge. I regularly clip/unclip my console while visually focusing on some distant object (no look action). It's simple and easy. Go with the retractor. Just buy a quality retractor. I am so impressed with my 4 year old retractor that I just bought the identical item to set up a new dive rig.

Oh! I even purchased my retractor used from my dive instructor! So I have no idea how old it is! Never a problem.

I use a retractor attached to the BC chest strap. The retractor body lives inside
a piece of bike inner tube that also goes over the left chest strap. Nice and snug,
and the back end (left) of the retractor is a plastic D-ring threaded over the strap.
It absolutely can't fall off/out; the inner tube just keeps it snug. The retractor
body is actually horizontal, but it works just fine.
The result is a retracting ss ring slightly left of my sternum midpoint.

It helps that the chest strap on my BC (Oceanic Islander) can be removed
from the shoulder strap to select one of several attach points for size
adjusment. That's how I get the retractor plastic D-ring mounted on on the chest
strap, because it won't fit over the buckle in the middle.

I have a ss boltsnap on the console (Suunto Cobra) that attaches to the
retractor ring when diving, or to the left D-ring equivalent (I use ss split rings;
the Islander has no D-rings) for walking around on surface (boat, beach) where
the console weight causes the retractor to extend, and I'd prefer it snugged
up tight.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom