How do you clip your dive computer down?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use one of those self retracting clips. It is attached to the boot and I clip the retracting end to a D ring on the other side of my chest. That way teh computer/compus/SPG is in front of my chest where I can find it, and to use the compus all I do is pull it out away from my body and into position. When finished it zips back aginst my chest, out of the way.

I don't like the wrist mounted computers because every diver I have been in the water with looses their wrist mounted computer/compus/depth gauge when the wrist strap unexpectedly come undone. Yea, I know it's not DIR or PADI or what ever philosophy, but I have never lot my computer.

Simple lanyard on a clip works for me..I prefer to keep all instruments on a console..Less chance of lost in or out of the water or on the beach/boat.If anything on wrist it would get in way of work or grabbing bugs. Never had a diver loose gauge on a console,seen a few that had been lost from going on wrist.Also easier suiting up if on console,no time wasted trying to place on wrist in hot sun wearing exposure suit.

As some have suggested, if you go to a wrist mounted computer, replace the strap with two bungies. This way if one bungie does fail during the dive the other will still hold it on your wrist. It will also be quick and easy to put on and you don't have to worry about it coming loose at depth when your wetsuit shrinks.

I use the factory strap on my wrist computer and for back up I put a lanyard on( like the ones on lights). If the strap were to break the lanyard will keep it in place. Never had a issue with the strap yet but the lanyard is nice insurance.

I used a retractor for my air gauge/compass.

I use a retractor, and have never had a problem with one. I'm sure some are better than others and it's always possible to get a lemon.

I've also never lost a wrist computer or known anyone that did, so I wouldn't consider that a reason to choose a console. They've each got their pros and cons. I dive with 2 computers, one wrist and one console. So I have a choice, and I find it much more convenient to look at the one on my wrist. But the console is certainly a handy place to keep the spare, and at least you can't forget a console! On the other hand, say you were into lobster hunting and sticking your arm into holes all the time, you'd find something on your wrist to be a problem.

The retractor idea is a good one. I have not had a problem with one either failing to retract or posing and entanglement hazard, although you will find some animated discussion on SB about that. I clip it waist level. right front, and can easily read my air and depth when diving a console. I also have rigged a break away (the bolt snap is rigged to the console with a ty-wrap and O-ring) to minimize entanglement challenges, if they were to occur. Having a wrist mount computer is nice, and I put one (Vytec) on my left wrist and one (Nitek) on my right forearm. Reading the posts about failed wrist straps suggests a bungee back-up is in order. The question that came to me is, if the issue is using the compass morte than using the computer, why not take IT out of the console and rig an attachment to your wrist, rather than worrying about the computer? If it is a Suunto, that should be possible.

Ok, so I have all of my gear outside of a tank and hood, but the problem is that everytime I dive, I find that I can either have my dive computer clipped to a D-ring on my BC, which is fine as far as keeping it in close and not letting it drag on the bottom, but then I can't use the damn compass on the back of it. To use the compass, every single time I've had to unclip it and then just hold it the entire time I want to use the compass. What do you guys with console-style dive computers use as far as clips to hold the comp in place but still be able to use the compass on it? I'm up for suggestions...and yes, once I get the money, I'm upgrading to a wrist computer unit.
Common problem ... and the solution is to practice clipping and unclipping the console a few times every time you go diving. You can even do it in the comfort of your living room ... just wear your mask (so that you learn to do it by feel, rather than vision), and gloves, if you wear them when you dive.

Like most things involving scuba, after a few tries it starts becoming easier. After 50 tries it becomes automatic.

Rather than purchasing a new computer, teach your body how to do what it needs in order to adapt to the equipment you already have.

FWIW - The VEO works as a wrist computer just fine ... you can even purchase it on a wrist strap. I have a VEO 100NX for a backup computer ... I purchased just the "hockey puck" (i.e. just the computer, no console, no wrist strap) ... which I mounted in a spare UWATEC housing and wrist strap. Works like a charm.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I use a retractor for my computer. I just pull it out to take a look and let go then the computer goes back. When I need to hold it out to use the compass I don't have any problems, the tension on the retractor isn't high enough that I have to fight to keep it out.

Like others I use a retractor clipped to my upper right D ring. To keep the retractor from dieing prematurely, make sure that you get a good quality retractor (they are not all made the same) and make sure that you pull it out a couple of times in fresh water when you are rising your gear. If it does die, you are only out about $20. It is worth it not to have the computer dangle.

As many have already stated, use a retractor or the coil. I use the coil on my DC. It has a buckle that can be unclipped and pull the DC to were it is needed. It does take practice, but a least it is were you need it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom