How do you carry it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PerroneFord

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
:)

So for the past 8 months, I've been carrying my gear around in a Aeris roller bag. It's large, has room for all my junk, and things store nicely. Only problem is, it's heavy. I keep my change of clothes in a Mil Surplus drybag which works brilliantly.

But I started wondering, after I watched other divers using crates and various other methods, what works for you guys? I have moved all my stuff over to an Action Packer at the moment. I will tape a maifest to the inner lid in a waterproof sleeve to make sure everything goes in. Seems an organized way to do thnigs. Of course, it's not the easiest to carry around. I'll probably also get a hand-truck to start carrying my doubles and other gear. I am not limited by boat space, and I drive to all my sites.

So how do you carry your gear to your sites?

Looks like my options are:

1. Action Packer
2. Multiple crates
3. Dive Bag
4. Mesh bag (ugly for my sandy sites)
5. Other.

Thanks,

-P

Milk crate for canisters,rubber maid for gear,dry suit etc. Lowes is a good place for the larger containers
If you buy a hand truck for your tanks etc,buy one with the larger pneumatic tires,they traverse sand,roots etc better

jagfish:
I like the action packers. They are nice for after the dive as well, keep your car dry. They don't go on boats very well, though. You'll want a mesh bag for that...
I use a combination. For a weekend of cave diving, I usually bring:
  • A 20 gallon Brute tote for regs and the oxygen analyzer. That's plenty big enough for primary/backup regs, several stage regs, argon reg, backup argon reg, and my OW reg (which is also my tertiary cave reg).
  • A 40 (?) gallon Action Packer for fins, drysuit, wings (primary and backup), and backplate. I usually throw my argon bottle and straps in there as well. This is basically my "wet" box.
  • A milk crate for primary light, reels, SMBs and lift bags, and assorted clips
  • A couple of plastic toolboxes for spare parts, tools, etc
  • A full-size van for everything else (two sets of doubles, stage bottles, scooter, etc) :wink:
For OW diving, I just use a large mesh bag, which is plenty big enough for reg, BC, wetsuit, and MFS

What's an action packer?

For shore diving I use a $20 plastic tub on rollers that I purchased at Walmart. In addition to holding all my gear it also makes a convenient rinse tank.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

An Action Packer is a Rubbermaid, heavy duty box. Tough, relatively cheap, though not walmart cheap. You can stand on it easily. Two people could.

When driving to sites (most of the time):

$10 rubbermaid 'crate' (they come in one color: bluish) for gear.
Backpack for clothes and stuff.
Back of the car for everything else.

When boat diving, simple wetbag and backpack (dry area) only.

When traveling overseas. A large Ralphtec scuba bag with fin pockect on the sides. (gives some protection to gear)

I use a couple of vegetable crates that I got from the veggie shop around the corner for a couple of bucks (the return cost). They're big enough for everything, they're made tough and they're made to stack securely.

On a dive boat I use a duffel bag.

R..

I put my scuba stuff in a laundry basket and carry my dry clothes etc. in a backpack.

Hey guys, The action packer sounds great, where can I get one? Why do you guys use milk crates? What is the advantage?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom