How do you carry accessories?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I do some solo diving and therefore carry several items for safety/redundancy. I find that the pockets in the BC (Zeagle Stiletto) are not large enough to pack all the items. I carry several cutting devices including a knife, scissors, and a line cutter, SMB, finger reel, extra dive mask, two flashlights, a camera, and sling a pony.

I'm just curious how other arrange their accessory gear.

I just carry two cutting devices - Trilobite line cutter on the wrist strap of my dive computer, and trauma shears in a pocket on the waist strap of my BP/W webbing.

Flashlights can be carried cleanly by putting a bolt snap on the end, clipping it to a shoulder D-ring, and then stowing the light under a bungee loop or other rubber loop lower on the webbing.

SMB can be cleanly stored in one of those pockets that fit into the back of the backplate - you don't even realize that it's there. I carry two - one there and another in a tail pouch which is connected to the backplate with quick links.

Spare mask and spool go in my pockets, but I don't know if regular BC pockets are big enough for them. You don't say what you are wearing as an exposure suit, but if it isn't a dry suit with pockets you could get pocket shorts. Those are great, I use them in warm water.

Slinging the pony is the way to go. Camera depends on how big it is, but mine (DSLR with dual strobes) is on a tether to the crotch D-ring, and I hold it or clip it off if I need both hands for something.

Pocket shorts.

Line cutters go on left and right wrist PDC
Shears, wetnotes, in right pocket on a bolt snap
SMB is in a tail pouch and spool on tail d-ring.
Spare mask left pocket
Flashlight on left and right shoulder

Pocket shorts, and mounted on things...

Examples:
cutting devices - one on harness, one on strap of computer, scissors in shorts.
Lights - one in a soft Goodman handle, and a back-up on my harness

SMB/spool (rigged) in pocket

there has been times where I put a pocket for things on my pony/deco bottle

tail pouches are useful too.

Pocket shorts are a really good option

similar to Mike w/ the camera.

YMMV

If you have enough space on a waist strap, you might be able to slip on a pocket.

I do some solo diving and therefore carry several items for safety/redundancy. I find that the pockets in the BC (Zeagle Stiletto) are not large enough to pack all the items. I carry several cutting devices including a knife, scissors, and a line cutter, SMB, finger reel, extra dive mask, two flashlights, a camera, and sling a pony.

I'm just curious how other arrange their accessory gear.
Maybe consider tailoring your christmas tree to match your dive?

2 flashlights are good for a night dive. Maybe 1 or none is best for a day dive. SMB & reel only if you need it (not really needed in Bomaire)

Take the minimal gear required, not the minimum owned?

I carry everything the OP mentioned. The only time I use a pocket is a thigh pocket for my spare mask. If I have thigh pockets, I may also stash my SMB, pre-rigged to a small reel in the opposite pocket from the spare mask.

Everything else has its own pouch or is clipped to a D-ring somewhere.

Sometimes I feel like a total shill, but I can't seem to mention this trauma shears pouch enough (and I have no affiliation). It's only $8, has positive retention, and uses a Molle clip, so you can attach it pretty much anywhere without undoing/redoing any webbing. I used to use the standard "DIR sheath" to hold my shears but I lost my first pair of shears in less than 10 dives using that sheath.

MSM Shear Pouch - MIL-SPEC MONKEY STORE

there has been times where I put a pocket for things on my pony/deco bottle

I've been thinking about doing this. Redundant gear for solo purposes might as well we strapped to the pony.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom