How do you attach your tank valves to your shoulder D-rings?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

View attachment 160669

This is what I've ended up with so far. A UTD air bladder copy (marked on the bag as 16lbs lift) rigged to a harness that's fitted with copies of the Razor 2's plates. Still experimenting with the bungy system which explains why they're currently only secured with cable ties. Planning to do one like the Dive Rite ring system since I've managed to salvage some 1/2" webbing off two old BCDs for the neck chokers and have gotten almost enough materials to rig up two tanks.

Sure sucks in my part of the world where you get blank stares when you ask for stainless steel swivel snap hooks and rings so everything has to be ordered online.

You might end up finding the neck chokers to work better if they are velcro wraps. They can be taken off with everything else staying in place which is nice for multiple tanks on a side.

You might end up finding the neck chokers to work better if they are velcro wraps. They can be taken off with everything else staying in place which is nice for multiple tanks on a side.

Beano... you might want to research DiveRite'ring-bungees'.

It means understanding how/why the ring bungees are used... and why velcro isn't a clever option.

As numerous threads on this very Nomad Ring Bungie setup have established, the neck chokers as made, are not removable underwater, and worse yet can loosen themselves.

NetDoc went with the actual metal connection point to solve the of how to stabilize the clip to the valve, I used the webbing net chokers twice and switched to velcro. I have to have a removable system for logistic reasons, and using velcro has really worked out, especially for multiple tanks on one side.

Maybe you should try using the Nomad Ring Bungies with a couple of different neck choker styles before you have opinions about what the neck chokers should be made of. I have seen a bunch of your pictures, and not one is using a Nomad Ring Bungie system. Whether that means you tried them out and stopped using them, or never really tried them much, it does mean that your opinions on how to use them are not worth as much as those who are actually using them regularly.

I know there are drawbacks to the entire Nomad Ring Bungie system for some people, but for those of us who use it, there are reasons we choose it, and make corrections to make it work better.

I've ordered the rings and more clips from DiveGearExpress so will rig up the rubber hoses, clips and ropes once they've arrived. As for the neck chokers, I found that I was actually living amidst boxes and boxes of stuff which contained webbing and slides since I live above a petshop and on the 2nd floor where I am is where excess stock is stored. Any decently thick 1/2" dog harness or leash and the appropriate slides could become tank chokers. :D

I had difficulty and discomfort with the valves rubbing my armpits occasionally and when the tank bottoms were detached and pushed to the front.

...because you should point the valve knobs down/forward and not to the sides like UTD and PADI teaches.

As numerous threads on this very Nomad Ring Bungie setup have established, the neck chokers as made, are not removable underwater, and worse yet can loosen themselves.

And you don't consider that velcro has the capacity to 'loosen'? LOL

One of the stated aims of the ring bungee system is that it provides a 'secure' method for attaching tanks - that includes walking around with them. Velcro is not sufficiently robust for that purpose.

Whilst neck chokers aren't 'designed' to be removable from the cylinders, the tanks themselves are eminently removable from the bungee system. If you used a ring bungee system and removed the choker from the cylinder mid-dive, then you'd have no connection between upper cylinder and BCD. Why would any sane sidemount diver desire that scenario?

Maybe you should try using the Nomad Ring Bungies with a couple of different neck choker styles before you have opinions about what the neck chokers should be made of. I have seen a bunch of your pictures, and not one is using a Nomad Ring Bungie system.

LOL, you presume much...

I used the webbing net chokers twice and switched to velcro.....Whether that means you tried them out and stopped using them, or never really tried them much, it does mean that your opinions on how to use them are not worth as much as those who are actually using them regularly.

So, in your sample test of two dives using webbing net chokers, you feel your opinions are worth much? Regular use? LMAO

Did you realize how hypocritical and self-defeating your post was when you wrote it?

When the webbing got loose on two of two dives and on four of four tanks on each dive*, I realized that it was not the material to use for chokers when doing surface walks because webbing can work itself free, from the weight of the tanks on land.

And no the velcro has not come loose not once ever.

Plus taking the velcro off and having the free play on the clip is something that comes in handy all the time when dealing with empty trail tanks clipped off to the butt, or when leaving tank clipped off somewhere under water, where a boudn clip won't fit.

(Every once in a while you should realize that trading ideas is more important than scoring internet points, especially on systems you don't use. It's worth learning from others.

Go ahead, look at the "webbing" chokers NetDoc uses for his ring bungie setup, and why.

This is the sidemount forum, not the DIR forum. Self important and self righteous posts just make the poster seem like they are not really sure which forum they are in. DIR there is a system, that one has to adhere to whether it works or not. In sidemount, if you stick to a system that does not work for you, then all I can say it maybe sidemount is not for you. Myabe you would be more comfortable in a system like DIR where the thinking is done for you.)

*That's 100% for those scoring at home.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom