How do you attach trim weights to your BP/W?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crazy Fingers

Contributor
Reaction score
I need to trim myself out a bit, and I really need to get the weight up around my shoulders since my hugely musclar, sexy legs love to sink even with 5 mil booties and positive fins :eyebrow: Couple that with a 5 mil hooded vest, a mild case of air-head, and you can imagine how I want to "pencil down" in the water!

I think I need about 2 pounds extra for freshwater. I was wanting to put two one-pound hard weights through the harness on the backside of the backplate. Near where the harness is bolted in. Unfortunately, they are a total @#$% to find!

I thought about using some weight pouches on the cambands, but I would need to get two to keep it symmetric because my big SS camband is right in the middle of the tank. By the time I do that, I'm looking at $40 or $50 just to trim some weight out! :11:

Any other ideas?

In the pool I have the same problem, I use a 2lb ankle weight around the neck of the tank.

I have an xs scuba weight pouch that I put on my top cam strap. I make sure its in the middle so it doesn't throw me off. The weight pouch can hold up to 5 lb and is just a few bucks. Works for me.

cmufieldhockey8:
I have an xs scuba weight pouch that I put on my top cam strap. I make sure its in the middle so it doesn't throw me off. The weight pouch can hold up to 5 lb and is just a few bucks. Works for me.

How do you assure it's in the middle? I have these huge stainless cam straps which are set up to be right in the middle!

For a while, I used one pocket in the middle, but it was a PITA to keep there, and if it was off-center, so was I.

You can zip-tie a couple of one-pound ankle weights to the holes in the rim of the plate. That keeps them out of the way and they're balanced from side to side. If you're diving the same configuration all the time, this is an easy answer. I can't do it, because I go back and forth from cold to warm water, and I don't want to have to take them off and put them back on again, so I use the weight pockets on the cambands, pushed up against the plate.

Don't make it harder than it needs to be - throw a two pound ankle weight on the neck of your tank and you're good to go!

I'm not sure if this will work for you: If you have an extra (stand-alone) cam strap, tie the cam strap with a XS scuba weight pouch (mentioned above) to the tank. Just be sure it is positioned right in the middle (right on top of you) when you're in the water.
Not trying to make a sales pitch here, but I have an extra unused XS Scuba pouch I can ship to you for $10. PM me if interested.
Dive safely.

Two small pockets on each side of the upper tank strap.

the K

I've seen 1 lb hard weights, and they are indeed perfect for the sort of thing described, but yes, they're a bear to find. I know ONE store of all the shops I've been to in So Cal that has them in stock, and I haven't found any place online with them (although S&H would be horrible trying to buy weights online).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom