• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

How do you all mark your transmitters?

Discussion in 'Shearwater Research' started by nwflyboy, Dec 11, 2017.

1. Akimbo

Akimbo Lift to Freedom Volunteer Staff Member ScubaBoard Supporter

Because it reduces the risk of the clueless and careless of using it as a more convenient handle than the cylinder valve. It is easy to secure it to the cylinder, BC, or harness. A longer HP hose can also let you position the transmitter closer to your wrist mounted DC, which can improve signal strength.

Compressor likes this.
  2. Compressor

Compressor ScubaBoard Supporter Staff Member ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    I see what's going on. Usually no one touches my stuff except me. I do however see when people helping out (boats,....) can grab it. Then perhaps a 9" HP hose to the transmitter which then gets attached to the webbing on the wing (or a BC); benefit will also include less transmission loss.

3. Akimbo

It is especially a consideration when diving off an inflatable. It is very difficult to protect such a vulnerable protrusion with gear piled up on the deck and bouncing around when underway. Retrieving an unconscious diver is also a case where the "normal" care in handling gear can go out the window.

Compressor likes this.
  4. tursiops

tursiops Marine Scientist and Master Instructor ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    Hey, if I'm an unconscious diver, and my transmitter provides an extra handle to help get me out of the water, I'm happy to replace the transmitter later!

Compressor likes this.
  5. Akimbo

Except for the high pitched noise and bubbles distracting rescuers.

Compressor likes this.
  6. tursiops

Well, yes. After all, I DO want them to focus on the task at hand.

Akimbo and Compressor like this.
  7. Compressor

Compressor ScubaBoard Supporter Staff Member ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Ok; I am convinced. :) .
    So 6" hose to the webbing on the BP/W? And with a bicycle tube securing it?
    Thanks

8. tursiops

I'm not keen on "connecting" the transmitter to my BP/W. I like the idea of fastening it to the LPI hose, all on the left side.
    By the way, I wear AI receivers on my left and my right wrists, at the same time. I've never noticed any signal drop out. That is with the transmitter just put directly into the first stage, on the right side (SPG is on the left HP port). i'm thinking maybe all the concerns about dropouts are driven by units other than the PPS MH-8 units.

Saniflush likes this.
  9. Saniflush

Saniflush ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

Actually I have pretty consistent dropouts depending on where I have my hands. I am 6'3" and long armed. If I have my hands cupped and around my waist it drops out regularly. If I raise my hands to my midsection area then it seems to stay connected without incident. I may try the 6" hose just to see if I get any difference in connectivity.

10. GreggS

GreggS Barracuda

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    I use an Oceanic 1st stage and the way it is built, I have my Suunto transmitter mounted directly to it pointed downward and to the right side. This makes it more difficult for anyone to grab just the transmitter. I know different 1st stages are built differently so this configuration isn't available to everyone.

Oh, and I have never had a signal drop out as far as I know. There has a been a couple of times I had to change the channel prior to a dive, but never had it fail during a dive.