How do referrals work?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chris_b

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
When you do your open water dives with a different instructor, do you have to return to your original instructor before you get your certification card? Or is it issued by the instructor/agency with whom you do the dives?

The reason I'm asking is, we're thinking of going down to Florida for our OW dives. It would be nice if we could do some more dives in the area after finishing the OW dives, but if we have to return to Iowa to get the c-card, it seems like kind of a waste of a trip. The alternative, doing the OW dives here in Iowa in the spring, is likely to be pretty chilly, though!

Thanks for any info!

Chris

That differs according to agency. With PADI the open water instructor is the certifying instructor. With the agencies which participate in the Universal Referral Program you are certified by your original instructor. Either way works for you as a student.

DSSW,

WWW™

Ah, forgot to mention the agency... our course is NAUI, but I believe our instructor is certified as an instructor for NAUI, PADI, and YMCA. The referral he offers is the Universal Referral. It sounds like this means we'd be out of luck diving after completing the OW dives, unless we did them with a PADI instructor?

Sorry, I'm still kind of confused.

Chris

There shouldn't be a problem getting a temporary card with any agency.

DSSW,

WWW™

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom