How do I report a scam artist in classified?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

formernuke

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I'm selling off some used gear in classified. For one item I was contacted by pm and agreed to sell. The buyer would not use paypal and insisted on a alternet method, I agreed and he sent payment which I could not verify or link to my bank account. The deal is off and I sent s PM saying that.

My question is how do I report this user so others do not get ripped off?

Thumbs Down would be one place to start. I'll check with the other Mods.

PayPal me $20 and I'll tell you.

I'm selling off some used gear in classified. For one item I was contacted by pm and agreed to sell. The buyer would not use paypal and insisted on a alternet method, I agreed and he sent payment which I could not verify or link to my bank account. The deal is off and I sent s PM saying that.

My question is how do I report this user so others do not get ripped off?

So you didn't get scammed?
Potential scammer?
Or maybe miss typed info/account?
Possible honest mistake?

We simply won't get involved in classified transactions. We don't have the resources to verify who's right and who's a scammer. There are important steps to take if you try to buy something, but if your spidey sense starts tingling: back away.

However, if you do feel a user is scamming you, please report their PM to you. We'll take a look at them and where they come from. We delete most spammers/scammers before they get to you. Unfortunately, that's about all we can do at this point except point out that it's Caveat Emptor: Let the buyer beware!

This is an excerpt from Craig's list on how to avoid scams. Please click on this link and read THE WHOLE THING!!!

Craitslist:
Avoiding Scams
Deal locally, face-to-face —follow this one rule and avoid 99% of scam attempts.

• Do not provide payment to anyone you have not met in person.
  • Beware offers involving shipping - deal with locals you can meet in person.
  • Never wire funds (e.g. Western Union) - anyone who asks you to is a scammer.
  • Don't accept cashier/certified checks or money orders - banks cash fakes, then hold you responsible.
  • Transactions are between users only, no third party provides a "guarantee".
  • Never give out financial info (bank account, social security, paypal account, etc).
  • Do not rent or purchase sight-unseen—that amazing "deal" may not exist.
  • Refuse background/credit checks until you have met landlord/employer in person.
  • "craigslist voicemails" - Any message asking you to access or check "craigslist voicemails" or "craigslist voice messages" is fraudulent - no such service exists.

The buyer would not use paypal and insisted on a alternet method

What was the alternate method? There are quite a few new-ish companies trying to grab a slice of the payments pie.

The only sure way to get screwed is to blindly use Paypal. They have brand recognition but they are not your friend and frequently not the best value.

PayPal is risky for sellers because they (PayPal) has a tendency to always believe the buyer's version (whether they were cheated/whether the product ever arrived, etc). It seems like sellers are guilty until proven innocent. People can also scam you by using someone else's (stolen account info) paypal account - after the theft is discovered it is once again entirely the seller's loss.

What was the alternate method? There are quite a few new-ish companies trying to grab a slice of the payments pie.

The only sure way to get screwed is to blindly use Paypal. They have brand recognition but they are not your friend and frequently not the best value.
I’m wondering this as well. What was the source they wanted to us?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom