How do I know if it is condensation or a leak?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

khacken

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I recently switch to a Fusion and when doffing I have noticed quite of bit a droplets in the suit. I mean enough to where some of the folds had a teaspoon of so of water.

My guess is just that it is condensation as it is fairly even throughout the suit and my undergarments will generally be completely dry by the next dive if I hang them out to dry.

Is a leak generally localized and pretty much soaks that area?

A leak will be in one localized spot, and will happen on every dive. I had a pin hole rip in my dry suit. This resulted in my left side being wet after every dive right around my waist. I found the hole, and used aquaseal to button it up. My buddy currently has a small leak in a seam (we think), and his undergarments are soaked in same area after every dive.

These types of leaks can be difficult to find, but not hard to diagnose. If you are consistently wet in the same spot after every dive, you have a small leak.

What you are describing sounds a bit odd, but maybe you are donning the suit in warm conditions, and this is sweat? Condensation is a result of vapor becoming water. That generally happens when a surface goes from cold to warm, think of sunglasses worn outside, and then you walk indoors into a heated room. So I guess this could occur if you go from very cold water to warm surface temps.

Yes, leaks are generally localized. If your entire undie and/or the entire inside of the suit is slightly damp, then it is most likely condensation. The slick, "plasticy" inside of the fusion really makes the condensation noticeable.

Most of the donning took place in warm conditions, however, I had a few diving where I was shivering until I got in the water (water was much warmer than the air) and still had the water inside.

I have the same problem with my fusion on most dives and I'm sure its condensation but on some dives the moisture is more localized to the profile of the zipper. its never very much, everything is just damp. unless it gets really bad I'm not gonna attempt to do anything, the one thing I dont like about the fusion is looking for a leak...

Undergarments are meant to pull moisture away from your body, you probably just produce more than usual

One of the frustrating things I have learned about leaks in dry suits is that where you find the water may not have much immediately obvious connection with where the water is getting into the suit. I have had more than one neck seal begin to fail, where I found the water around my lower abdomen and crotch. Apparently, it would enter through the neck seal and run down the suit to the lowest part of my body, and pool there. Right now, my leaking Halcyon p-valve is something I usually feel on my left knee, which tells me I'm dropping my knees :)

In my experience, condensation is a uniform dampness, where the inside of the suit and the outside of the undergarment feel like laundry you've spritzed before ironing it. If water is actually pooling in teaspoonfuls, I'd be concerned about the possibility of a leak.

On my fusion I notice the tech skin stays wet much like a wet suit would so I suspect as you don the suit for dive number 2, the inner surface of the suit is cooler (due to what amounts to evaporative cooling) and moisture will condense on it.

I also agree that if it is a general dampness all over it is condensation, not a leak, but a more localized sogginess is probably a leak.

My experience is similar to Lynn's - the last couple dives have resulted in some wetness in the crotch area but with no obvious pee valve failure, so the potential leak is most likley higher up in the suit somewhere. The alternativeto a leak is the last couple dive profiles that required exits through very high flow restrictions that encouraged very complete dumping of the suit prior to starting the exit/ascent anda vertical heads up position that can cause the neck seal to burp air and leak water. Not all leaks are from holes in the suit.

Like any other suit, you can seal the cuffs and neck of the suit (with suitable round objects) and inflate it, then spray the surface with a soap and water solution to find even pin hole sized leaks, but unlike other suits, you will have to remove the skin first. That is on my agenda one of these days if I notice the wetness continuing.

some general advice - give the dampness a sniff and / or a lick. sweat? sea water? creek? pee? all for the figuring out... :D

Back
Top Bottom