How do folks navigate buying scuba equipment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was originally certified in 1988, so we have something in common – we didn’t have the Internet back then. What I found, when I got back into diving last year, is that there is so much more information available, and so much easier to get then we had it “back in the day“. In the past year, I’ve literally bought everything new, from snorkel to fins. What worked for me, was to search the Internet retailers to see what was in my price range. I had a fixed budget in mind, and I was not interested in being tempted by things that were outside that budget. Once I identified what I could afford, I searched those items (most of the results were on scuba board), and made my purchases based on what I could afford, what had good ratings, and what was available.

I’m very happy with the results. I ended up with a Shearwater Peregrine and Mares Avanti Quattro+ fins that I bought off ScubaBoard; I found a great deal on a dive package with a Hog backplate and wing system with Hog regulators from Diverssupply.com. Wetsuit package from Scuba.com. I’ve purchased other odds and ends to replace the gear I’d had since I was originally certified. I think the gear I have now will last me as long as I need it, and be adaptable for any kind of diving I choose to do in the future.
The whole industry, sport, and marketplace has changed so much. A bazillion options and colors, and the consumer-inclination to buy the newest and shiniest.
When I started, I had a J valve to pull if my air got low, only the instructor had a pressure gauge, and only the navy or oil-rig workers dove dry suits.🤷🏻‍♂️

I got an Aqualung Core regulator last fall and I really like it. It has an 'environmentally sealed auto closure device' - which means there's no visible screen where water can get into your regulator when changing over to another tank, handling it to put away or rinsing. It's $319 at scuba.com. The Legend is more high-end but the price is too. I think the Core breathes fine, but I'm not at all finicky about regulators (on our last trip I realized after a dive that I'd been breathing from my octo and hadn't noticed). Here's a pic for reference. You can see the screw has a pointed tip to open the airway to the tank in the first stage.

1678039649711.png

I was originally certified in 1988, so we have something in common – we didn’t have the Internet back then. What I found, when I got back into diving last year, is that there is so much more information available, and so much easier to get then we had it “back in the day“. In the past year, I’ve literally bought everything new, from snorkel to fins. What worked for me, was to search the Internet retailers to see what was in my price range. I had a fixed budget in mind, and I was not interested in being tempted by things that were outside that budget. Once I identified what I could afford, I searched those items (most of the results were on scuba board), and made my purchases based on what I could afford, what had good ratings, and what was available.

I’m very happy with the results. I ended up with a Shearwater Peregrine and Mares Avanti Quattro+ fins that I bought off ScubaBoard; I found a great deal on a dive package with a Hog backplate and wing system with Hog regulators from Diverssupply.com. Wetsuit package from Scuba.com. I’ve purchased other odds and ends to replace the gear I’d had since I was originally certified. I think the gear I have now will last me as long as I need it, and be adaptable for any kind of diving I choose to do in the future.
Plus one on the Peregrine - unless you think you're going to do tech diving - I love being able to see the number clearly, night or day. Also it's very easy to make changes as needed and has a nice interface to their app to download your dives. I also have Quattros and like them.

Navigating buying generally used equipment I'd say is a matter of:
  • Familiarity with each piece. For example, knowing scuba-tanks, vs regulators, vs computers, vs BCDs is all different.
  • Market familiarity: It helps to have a general idea of the "going market price." Some things like most BCDs have terrible resale value. Same with many regulators. Tanks usually have great resale value. With regulators, you often need to know that brand, their models, how easy/difficult they are to service or get serviced, etc.
  • Brand/Model: The specific brand and model can have massive impact on resale. For example, shearwater computers tend to have great resale. Scuba-pro regulators have above-average resale. US-diver regulators, you can't even give away. Generic oceanic or Mares dive-computers, you can expect used to e about 20% the new price.
  • Budget: Both how much money you have to spend, and the idea of keeping money around for future purchases.
  • Patience: If you've got the time and patience, you can sometimes get insanely good deals.
  • DIY Servicing: If you know how to service something, like regulators, that helps significantly.
  • If Clueless: If you have NO idea what you're looking at, the general safe things to buy used might be fins and knives. Beyond that, you really need to do your research.
  • Markets: Ebay, Craigslist, Scuba-board used, facebook market. The more you use the better. (Though I don't use FB for personal reasons)
By item:
  • Tanks: Don't buy AL tanks manufactured before 1990. The hydro-date and VIP date might affect whether you need to increase/decrease your budget for getting them hydro'd and VIP'd. If the tank is COMPLETELY empty of pressure when you buy it, that's a risk factor, as they should be stored with some pressure to prevent condensation.
  • Tank Valves: Used tank valves are often fine, though it may help to service them or have them serviced. (I need to learn how to do that)
  • Computer: Unless you get one of the "hot" computers, expect most to sell for a tiny-fraction of the new price.
  • Fins: You can get great deals on many used fins. They also tend to hold up well over many years.
  • Mask: I probably would avoid used masks. You don't know the condition of the seal.
  • Wetsuit: There are lots of great deals on used wetsuits. Just beware that someone else has probably peed in it a bunch of times, and you have to beware fitment issues. I usually wash wetsuits I get immediately. Cold water, air-dry, and no machines with a "spinner" in the middle of the camber. Alternatively, put in a tub (plastic, or bath), soak, and hand-wash. Look for usual wear and tear.
  • Drysuits: Yeah, I don't know here!
  • Knives: Generally safe to buy used. Better if you know how to sharpen yourself.
  • BCDs: Generic BCDs you can't even really give away. Over the years, I've ended up with nearly a dozen BCDs that I didn't want or need, but came as part of other bulk craigslist purchases. Specific BCDs (i.e. if you get into sidemount) can be a little more reflective of their new-prices. Backplates are fine used. Backplate Harnesses, I'd say just make your own harness for the backplate with stiffer webbing and add d-rings.
  • Regulators: This varies a LOT. You really need to know brands and models to get a good deal. You should also figure every used regulator probably need complete servicing. If I don't know the regulator's history (and you can't trust most people), I'd suggest replacing all the hoses, and servicing every component. If you want to get started on used-regulators, pick a specific brand, like Apeks, Scubapro, etc and stick with that brand because to keep track of the entire market is a lot of work.
  • Regulator Hoses: Trash. Or cut up for DIY projects.
Very comprehensive. Kind of reinforces my original point of how overwhelming it all can be. On the other hand - everyone here knows that this is an equipment intensive activity.

Plus one on the Peregrine - unless you think you're going to do tech diving - I love being able to see the number clearly, night or day. Also it's very easy to make changes as needed and has a nice interface to their app to download your dives. I also have Quattros and like them.
Plus two. It was my first purchase beyond mask, fins, snorkel (during covid yrs) - love it.

I got an Aqualung Core regulator last fall and I really like it. It has an 'environmentally sealed auto closure device' - which means there's no visible screen where water can get into your regulator when changing over to another tank, handling it to put away or rinsing. It's $319 at scuba.com. The Legend is more high-end but the price is too. I think the Core breathes fine, but I'm not at all finicky about regulators (on our last trip I realized after a dive that I'd been breathing from my octo and hadn't noticed). Here's a pic for reference. You can see the screw has a pointed tip to open the airway to the tank in the first stage.

View attachment 772893
That would probably be a good option for me as well. Must be nice to have your own to learn/know/familiarize with. (I have rented about 40 times...)

Hard to go wrong shopping here with lots of mature analysis reflected throughout the product pages.

www.divegearexpress.com

That would probably be a good option for me as well. Must be nice to have your own to learn/know/familiarize with. (I have rented about 40 times...)
I really suggest getting a pair of 2nd stages that have an adjustment knob. This can help to prevent a lot of problems with a bubbling octo or primary, especially after a recent service as the seat breaks in.

How do people navigate buying scuba equipment?

Me: older, retired, live in Oregon, and I do primarily warm water diving.
I fist got certified in the early 70’s, but life happened and I am basically restarting at the ripe old age of 68.
I have finally bought some dive gear.

Here is my question: How does one reasonably make equipment purchase choices? I have never experienced such a confusing market & dizzying array of factors. ...
FWIW, some of the gear (e.g., Scubapro Jet Fins and Mk10/Balanced Adjustable/G250/D400 regulators and gauges) that I continue to dive is gear that I purchased new in the late 1980's through mid 1990's. My favorite cylinder is an old-school USD (PST) 72 which has a 1970 orig hydro date. (I purchased this cylinder used c. 2005, IIRC.) MY favorite regulator for local, shallow, solo diving is a USD double hose regulator that (by it's serial number) was born in the 1960's. (I purchased this used ca. 2015, IIRC. It had been upgraded with VDH parts a few years earlier.)

My daughter used my Scubapro Stab Jacket w/ AIR 2 (both purchased new ca. 1994) and regulators and gauges this past summer for both her open water check-out and her subsequent dive trip to Honduras.

Upshot: If I somehow lost all my of my gear, I wouldn't hesitate to replace everything with the same stuff--if my plan was to continue doing the (solo, recreational) dives that I do now.

I would check first, though, with experienced divers who are doing the same dives that I anticipate doing in the future, to learn what they might recommend.

rx7diver

FWIW, some of the gear (e.g., Scubapro Jet Fins and Mk10/Balanced Adjustable/G250/D400 regulators and gauges) that I continue to dive is gear that I purchased new in the late 1980's through mid 1990's. My favorite cylinder is an old-school USD (PST) 72 which has a 1970 orig hydro date. (I purchased this cylinder used c. 2005, IIRC.) MY favorite regulator for local, shallow, solo diving is a USD double hose regulator that (by it's serial number) was born in the 1960's. (I purchased this used ca. 2015, IIRC. It had been upgraded with VDH parts a few years earlier.)

My daughter used my Scubapro Stab Jacket w/ AIR 2 (both purchased new ca. 1994) and regulators and gauges this past summer for both her open water check-out and her subsequent dive trip to Honduras.

Upshot: If I somehow lost all my of my gear, I wouldn't hesitate to replace everything with the same stuff--if my plan was to continue doing the (solo, recreational) dives that I do now.

I would check first, though, with experienced divers who are doing the same dives that I anticipate doing in the future, to learn what they might recommend.

rx7diver
I still have my Scubapro jet fins too - but after 30+ years, I had to replace the strap 😉

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom