Question How did you set up your Deep6 storage case?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chaad

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I recently upgraded from an Excursion reg set to two Signature reg sets (for sidemount). I opted to get the lovely orange storage case. Before I reinvent the wheel, can anybody share a photo of how they've arranged the components inside the case? I only get one shot at dissecting the pick-apart foam, so I'd like to get it right. 😂 Thanks in advance.

I will say that after I got mine I was so excited that I pulled it all out, only to realize I was never getting it back in!
I found some "unboxing"videos of the set on Youtube though and paused to see what it looked like before.

That said, if you connect things any way other than how mine are, I couldn't get them in.

I'm not convinced that keeping them in that box for very long isn't a bad idea, as it seems like it stresses the hoses a lot. I'm only using the box for long-distance travel at this point. Otherwise it holds other stuff. Maybe I'm paranoid?

Also I wouldn't cut the foam. In my experience it will deform to pretty much zero height, but maybe I'm wrong.

Edit: Also interested in other input on this. It was a bit disappointing to realize the box was not going to be a permanent home for them. That said, I'll feel really good mailing them back in this box for service.

P.S. How do you feel the Signature compares to the Excursion? Worth the upgrade? Worth recommending one over the other to others?

P.S. How do you feel the Signature compares to the Excursion? Worth the upgrade? Worth recommending one over the other to others?

I don't honestly notice much difference with the work of breathing, but the turret setup and 5th port on the bottom of the signature series have been much better for sidemount hose routing.

I don't honestly notice much difference with the work of breathing, but the turret setup and 5th port on the bottom of the signature series have been much better for sidemount hose routing.
Thanks, good to know. I mostly bought the Signature to be "future proof" and they did have it in stock at the time, but I would like to recommend the much less expensive Excursion set to others who have asked me about my Deep6 gear. Especially now that they have published the service manual for it now.

I know @rsingler has also extolled the amazing value and quality of the excursion set on here. And he wrote that newly released manual.

Lots to unpack here!

The orange storage case has some nice benefits. It's sealed, and protects your gear from moisture during transport. It's  sturdy, and that's the single best recommendation for its use, especially when airline personnel abuse your bags. That said, it's compact. When I use mine, I disassemble the hoses from the regs, and often don't even put the hoses in the box. What it is, is tremendous protection for your regs. But if you're not comfortable installing and disassembling hoses, then it could get a little cramped. But if you don't want to disassemble, that's fine! You just need to use a creative packing technique like the photo above.

Excursion vs. Signature...
Let's start by saying, IF you can tune your own regs, and IF you have access to parts, you can make almost any cheap reg perform perfectly adequately for the duration of a dive trip. But that's not why you bought Deep6! It will easily last 30 years, and it's performance is as good as any reg out there.
Perfectly tuned, and at the same Intermediate Pressure from the first stage, you might be hard pressed to feel a difference above 60' between the Excursion and the Signature. I'm not sure you can even feel a difference on a deep dive with either reg.
But there is a difference between the two. The turret on the Signature first stage increases hose routing options significantly. If you're a single tank recreational diver, that should not matter.
The coatings and components are higher quality with the Signature. That means greater longevity. But if you're just getting started, value may be the more important characteristic, as you look at bcd, wetsuit, dive computer (the  other Excursion!!) and extras.

For experienced divers looking for a long-term high-performance reg set suitable for technical diving, the Signature is made to order. Sealed, reliable and easy breathing.

But then, the Excursion is sealed too! Just no turret.

What you'll find is that folks often own both. The heavy case of the Excursion second stage is impervious to abuse by boat crew. It makes a relatively inexpensive backup set for a bucket list dive trip, because even though you have a service kit and can fix your own reg, who wants to do that in a vacation hotel room if you have a problem? Much easier to pull out your well-tuned value set until you get home. Of course, the far more likely occurrence is that your Signature set is working great. Instead, you're loaning your Excursion set to a dive buddy who has problems with his gear.

And if you're just getting started, and are bewildered by all the choices? It's easy. The Excursion set won't set you back an arm and a leg. You'll be good for decades. It's a superb breather. You can service it yourself (with training). And when you're ready for top of the line and need a turret? The Signature is ready and waiting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom