How did you do on your DM tests?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The swim test... mine was sprung on me in the middle of assisting with a rescue class, in a OW lagoon... something about 'accidents aren't planned'. I think this was also to show the class that what they were asked to do wasn't that hard and maybe allow me to showoff a little. I did very well, I regularly swim laps for exercise, but learned the difference/value of good snorkel vs a cheapo. That cheap snorkel almost killed me, I couldn't get enough air. I've since replaced that snorkel with a Scubapro Shotgun, the difference is amazing.

I was travelling extensively for two weeks prior to my first exam, so ended up studying and prepping for them all. After I took the first one and got 100% my instructor asked jokingly if I "wanted to take them all before I forgot any of the stuff."

I said, sure why not!

Three weeks worth of exams knocked out in one afternoon.

:)

Forget what the exact scores were, but mostly 19-20. (I'm a biochemist by training, so the science was pretty straigtforward.)

creamofwheat:
Yea, the swim tests I am not looking forward to. I did my float/tread already and scored a 5 (But I float even with empty lungs, it wasn't a hard feat for me :D), but I can't really swim "properly". I have never been taught, and my cardio is, well, I need to work on it. It's not that I am not comfortable in the water (I LOVE the water and grew up with a swimming pool in my backyard and all but lived on a sailboat when I was little), it's just that I am not a strong swimmer!

Become a STRONG swimmer! I have 320 dives, have a powerful frog kick, am in decent shape for a 44 year old, and started training for the 400 and 800 a month before I actually did it, and it still kicked my arse.

I nailed every test and kept failing the standards questions. Finally after the 3rd taking, I got cross with my instructor, who then re-read the proctor instructions, and then sheepishly gave me the big $200 somethin' binder and said, the standards are in here.

Be sure to ask for the big book, we shouldnt have to purchase it for DM and the standards dont need to be memorized, just known where to look them up.

Archangel:
Finally after the 3rd taking, I got cross with my instructor, who then re-read the proctor instructions, and then sheepishly gave me the big $200 somethin' binder and said, the standards are in here.

:D :D :D
Yeah, that would pose a problem. What were you thinking after the second time you took it. I don't think you can even find the standards anywhere else! Were you one of the first DMs your instructor certified?
Tom

b1gcountry:
:D :D :D
Yeah, that would pose a problem. What were you thinking after the second time you took it. I don't think you can even find the standards anywhere else! Were you one of the first DMs your instructor certified?
Tom

Tom you NAILED IT. I was the first! She sheepishly looked at me and apologized. . . and then handed me the big door stop!

I passed...and that is about all. Physic's beat me up badly and if I hadn't been able to talk about a couple of the problems wouldn't have passed it the first time. The one thing that has irritated me through this whole process is PADI's insistence on referring to the Instructor Manual but not providing at least some online access to it. It is hard to look at the manual when you are halfway around the world from the instructor. I travel extensively and studied on the road. My instructor is busy and although he is great, he can be a little weak on communications for my style. I came into the physics test with my usual math test complex of not being able to see the trees for the forest and rushing. The rest of the tests were okay.
Swimming - I did mine in a lake, on Saturday morning with at least 100 students in the water at various times. Our lake was down due to a drought so I just swam the shoreline. I don't do the freestyle (I call it armpit breathing style of swimming) very well and the 400 was my most fearful one. A friend suggested a little stratergy that worked great. While my instructor was getting an OW class ready, I jumped in and did my 15 minute float and then when they were in the water, I geared up and when they came up for a SI, I jumped in again and did the 100 yard tired diver tow with my instructor. Did the same thing again on the next SI by jumping in and doing the 800. By this time I already had enough points to pass so I rested a while and did the 400 at a nice leisurely pace that my instructor just looked out every once in a while to make sure I wasn't dead. Got it all done in one day. Everything is done now except working with certified divers and I will get that one done later this month in Bonaire.
My first experience with a class of OW students was "fun". I really felt more nervous than they did but so much of the book work came back soon as I truly came to realize how much affect that I can have on students. It has been fun to go back and see them make the same mistakes that I did and be able to quietly tell them that I understand.
Looking forward to this new "career".

im reading thru all of the posts on this thread - do you (in general those posting here) not get the giant 50 pound instructor manual with your fees? dont u get to look thru it for your tests? we were given the answer sheets but they are kept in our folder at the dive shop and we can have them when we are done (whats the point in cheating anyway?)
so - who has the instructor manual and who doesnt?

by AggieDad
"My first experience with a class of OW students was "fun". I really felt more nervous than they did but so much of the book work came back soon as I truly came to realize how much affect that I can have on students. It has been fun to go back and see them make the same mistakes that I did and be able to quietly tell them that I understand. "

you nailed it!! i love seeing them accomplish a new skill and see the giant grin on their face. i feel like a proud parent!:D

You do not HAVE to buy the instructor manual for the course. The other guy in my class wound up buying one, but I didn't. It's just too much money.
Tom

Just take your time, read the material. There's a wealth of information in those texts that need to be absorbed, not crammed in just to pass a test. A good working knowledge is all that is needed to pass. Standards that pertain to DM's should be memorized so you don't break them.

Don't do like I did and take all the water skills tests in one day, I was a pooped pup. All 4's and 5's, and the equipment exchange was a blast. I then helped with an OW class. Great fun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom