How did my K-valve get turned "Off" during a dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LunarDiver:
ianr33.. Since this incident... I am starting to become a believer of the concept of having that valve all the way open.... Is there really anything to be concerned about being submerged with a stuck open valve? If my worst concern is that my valve is stuck "Open" at the surface vs. my air shutting off at depth... Then I will be happy on dealing with my stuck valve at the dive camp. Your thoughts?

I think we are on the same page :D

I always turn my air all te way on then I crack it back. It only goes about 1/8 of an inch, but if you feel closely, it gets the valve out of a "dip" in the seat. I also check my valve before I put my rig on and can reach them in the water, w/ a drysuit.

That is pretty cool ocrmaster... I was not familiar with that remote valve knob until now. That would have been pretty handy.. Is that used more for the Technical side? Im not familiar with any Recreational divers using it but I havent been exposed enough the this sport yet...

I usually have the yoke of my reg touching the gnarled nkob of my tank enough so I can still open it, but not enough so that it can be accidentally shut. Makes opening it prior to the dive a little tougher, but I feel better knowing that it's not going to shut by accident.

When i dive a single tank i always have it set up so i can reach my valve just like in doubles so if there is a issue with a reg freezing you can turn it on and off to un freeze it or just to adjust it if you forget to turn you air on but open the valve all the way can damage the valve in an over hear environment that why i only open mine 5 turns

because chicks dig guys with skills. $130 for that remote thingy too - that's about 20 dives to practice reaching your valve and performing a thorough buddy check.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom