How did my K-valve get turned "Off" during a dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Im not sure. I would normally reach back there if I needed to track down my primary regulator before submerging for a dive but that is pretty tough... I dont think I can.. Is there a way to do this when you have a problem reaching (My answer right now would be rely on your buddy, but of course next time this happens I may not have the luxury of having him right next to me.)

LunarDiver:
Im not sure. I would normally reach back there if I needed to track down my primary regulator before submerging for a dive but that is pretty tough... I dont think I can.. Is there a way to do this when you have a problem reaching (My answer right now would be rely on your buddy, but of course next time this happens I may not have the luxury of having him right next to me.)

Play around with the height of the tank to find what works for you.Also it might be easier if the valve is angled slightly. Reaching the valve on a single tank is not easy and I would guess that most divers can not reach their valve in an emergency,but it can be rather useful.

scubatomwetzel:
Lack of BUDDY CHECK.

Yep. It's happened to the best of us. Get lazy and just check the SPG instead of manipulating the valve, then checking pressure.

Okay, this may be a bit off topic. I haven't dived in over a year. When you are ready to dive, you open the valve all the way and then go back a quarter turn right? I seem to be confused after reading someone mention all the way open. I plan on doing a big time refresher someday but want to check while I have all of you here :)
Jen

jennasnyder1980:
OK When you are ready to dive, you open the valve all the way and then go back a quarter turn right? I seem to be confused after reading someone mention all the way open. :)
Jen

Most divers are trained to open the valve all the way then turn it back 1/4 turn Jen. I was told this was so that there was not as much stress on the valve and you could also turn it either way if it stuck. So that's the way I have always done it.

Charles

LunarDiver:

If you are underwater, you can push the tank up from the bottom with left hand while reaching for the valve with your right hand.

ChillyWaters needs to read this thread. :wink:

Aquanautchuck,

Thanks for the information. I have been out of the water so to speak for a long time. I cant wait for some money and a refresher class to get back into it for good.

It's scary how rusty people can get.

Thanks,
jen

jennasnyder1980:
Okay, this may be a bit off topic. I haven't dived in over a year. When you are ready to dive, you open the valve all the way and then go back a quarter turn right? I seem to be confused after reading someone mention all the way open. I plan on doing a big time refresher someday but want to check while I have all of you here :)
Jen

I open it all the way and LEAVE IT OPEN. Maybe that shortens the life of the valve? I dont care,valves are cheap.

Closing a quarter turn after opening it introduces the possibility of messing up and actually having it only 1/4 of a turn on. That will breathe at the surface but not at depth.

ianr33.. Since this incident... I am starting to become a believer of the concept of having that valve all the way open.... Is there really anything to be concerned about being submerged with a stuck open valve? If my worst concern is that my valve is stuck "Open" at the surface vs. my air shutting off at depth... Then I will be happy on dealing with my stuck valve at the dive camp. Your thoughts?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom