How deep would you go to save someone..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If it was my Ex-wife, I wouldly gladly wave goodbye at any depth, and probably be jailed for homicide, fortunately I have the luxury of knowing she doesnt dive and I will never have to take that decision.

My daughter though, what ever it took, or die trying.

Like wendy, I have discussed the cave situation, and there is never a time when a dual tragedy is better than a single one. You do what you can, then you prevent yourself from becoming a victim too.

cancun mark:
If it was my Ex-wife, I wouldly gladly wave goodbye at any depth, and probably be jailed for homicide, fortunately I have the luxury of knowing she doesnt dive and I will never have to take that decision.

You crack me up bro, nice!!!!!!! Actually a good way to get rid of business partners I hear...........

Yeah...

But my Ex does dive...

I taught her, and my brother certified her!!!

What should I do if I somehow wind up on a dive with her???

squicker:
How deep would you go to save someone who was close to you?

and How deep would you go to save someone you didn't know?

ps. you're diving air.

To the maximum depth where it is probable that I can succeed. Who it is is irrelevant - it's another human being. The point you stop is when you're more likely to
just double the body count.

Some people have said they'd go as deep as it takes, and die, for their spouse and kids. Stop and think about that -if all you succeed in doing is killing BOTH you and your spouse, then you've just COMPLETELY orphaned those kids, whereas, if you die on a doomed attempt to rescue a stranger, at least your kids still have one parent.

You've framed the question in a manner that serves no purpose here. There are two aspects to any risk decision - the stakes, and the odds. The stakes are a matter of who you're rescuing - how much you stand to gain and/or lose.
The incremental loss from failure over not risking is your own life. The gain from success is the life of the victim.
The odds are your chances of succeeding.

Framing the question in terms of the stakes makes it a purely emotional issue, and only asks people what their passions are. This information is of no value to anyone except the respondent and those he/she states a greater depth for. The only value is they can show the response to the stated recipient of the deeper rescue and get a "Gee, you love me THAT much!" response.

Framing the question in terms of the odds yields valuable information, because we can discuss a sound basis for a rescue attempt decision, based on objective aspects that don't depend upon passion. Of course, that also requires the rescue scenario to be fleshed out a little better.

Seabear70:
Yeah...

But my Ex does dive...

I taught her, and my brother certified her!!!

What should I do if I somehow wind up on a dive with her???

Develop a sudden blinding stomach ache, go below, and lie down. Fall asleep and stay that way until she safely disembarks at the dock.

Key words: plausible deniability.

cancun mark:
My daughter though, what ever it took, or die trying.

Like wendy, I have discussed the cave situation, and there is never a time when a dual tragedy is better than a single one. You do what you can, then you prevent yourself from becoming a victim too.

These two paragraphs openly contradict each other.

There is never a time, except when your daughter is involved?

Always and never are dangerous words.

A few of you say as far as you can return safely from. Its a good idea to think about the actual depth before winging it. I tell my students if I am on air they should hope i catch them before 200' By the time you get that deep you wont be able to reasonably determine if you can safely keep going due to nitrogen narcosis and you are at a great risk for oxygen toxicity. If it was the wife? depends on her mood not mine lol

dweeb:
These two paragraphs openly contradict each other.

There is never a time, except when your daughter is involved?

Always and never are dangerous words.

I think what he means is that they want one parent alive to raise the daughter, so they would not endanger both parents at the same time.

If it was the daughter sinking, it wouldn't matter since if she didn't get rescued she wouldn't be alive to raised by the remaining parent.

Wijbrandus:
Back when I was in the rescue "business", we were constantly told that there was a ratio in fatalities. Usually a number like 4:1 rescuers to victims.

That means that four "rescuers" died for every victim.

I remember that quite a bit when I read stuff like this.

Of course, if it were my wife, I'd be one of the dead rescuers as well. No kids, only parents to leave behind, and I wouldn't want to face her parents if I lost their little girl in that way. After all, it's all my fault she's diving.
You aren't far off with any of this.

But from what I've heard, ex-spouse's, which I don't have any, use weight belts for PFD's. :D

Gary D.

Gary D.:
You aren't far off with any of this.

But from what I've heard, ex-spouse's, which I don't have any, use weight belts for PFD's. :D

Gary D.

Naah, not weight belts... That'd be way too obvious. I use a combination of a flack vest and pork chops around the ankles to ward off sharks for my ex.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom