How deep is REALLY the Spiegel Grove?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

is there a hole forming under the stern where the props are? from the current?

(I figured that would happen..... especially after the sand was washed out before it flipped upright.)

Yes, you can go port to starboard under the wreck through the props.

To give you an idea of her massive size...that's a pretty big tugboat off her bow.
spiegelsunk1.jpg

OK, I'll come clean. I used to be my dive club's webmanager and I was infatuated with the sinking of this ship. I created a bunch of webpages way back when. Start here and keep going.

Warning: the server is in some guy's living room so you'll have to refresh the pages a few times to get all of the images to show up. Or right click on the blank images and click "show picture." Sorry 'bout that. I quit the webslave job a bunch of years ago and I have no control over it now, but thankfully they did preserve my work.

And...OMG one of these days I need to get this converted to digital...a former spouse worked for WPLG and I have a really long VHS tape of raw and I do mean RAW footage of the sinking, including LOTS of u/w video taken with cameras mounted on the wreck while the SG was going down. INCREDIBLE, FASCINATING STUFF. OK, who knows where I can get this thing converted to DVD?

OK, I'll come clean. I used to be my dive club's webmanager and I was infatuated with the sinking of this ship. I created a bunch of webpages way back when. Start here and keep going.

Warning: the server is in some guy's living room so you'll have to refresh the pages a few times to get all of the images to show up. Or right click on the blank images and click "show picture." Sorry 'bout that. I quit the webslave job a bunch of years ago and I have no control over it now, but thankfully they did preserve my work.

What a great site, not seen it before. God that wreck is awesome. I always dive on it and laugh at how amazing it is that it ever got sunk and how it got upright. Great effort from all involved.

Thats why I get a bit bent out of shape when people wont buy a medallion :)

is there a hole forming under the stern where the props are? from the current?

(I figured that would happen..... especially after the sand was washed out before it flipped upright.)

Yes, I have had 145' under there, but not sure if it was just an inaccurate computer or whether a bit more sand is still being pushed out. It seems a bit tighter to get under the stern than it used to be, which suggests that the sand 'hill' on the port side is getting bigger, and the 'pit' is getting deeper?

What a great site, not seen it before. God that wreck is awesome. I always dive on it and laugh at how amazing it is that it ever got sunk and how it got upright. Great effort from all involved.

Thats why I get a bit bent out of shape when people wont buy a medallion :)

I have a medallion, although mine isnt "gold". I couldnt find them at the dive shop I was diving from, I had to go to a tourist welcome center to get one.
They would probably sell better if they werent blue, and were easier to find. IMHO.

Deb, on the pictures you posted it shows one where the ship was sticking out of the water. I know that there were some problems sinking the ship. How long did it stay like that? After it came to rest on the bottom, how long was it on its side before it flipped in the storm?

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom