How deep is REALLY the Spiegel Grove?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveNav

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,
we are preparing the virtual dive site of the Spiegel Grove and looking at the bathymetry data set we obtained, it looks like that the bottom is at 108ft (the data set is few years old).

Does anyone know what is the REAL bottom depth now?

Thanks

AM

I know it's much deeper than that. The wooden landing deck is at 120' and the same is 130' to 135'. I can't believe the bottom was ever at 108'.

Hi,
we are preparing the virtual dive site of the Spiegel Grove and looking at the bathymetry data set we obtained, it looks like that the bottom is at 108ft (the data set is few years old).

Does anyone know what is the REAL bottom depth now?

Thanks

AM

Since you guys are making a "virtual dive" of it, which sounds really cool, why not just go dive it so that you can verify everything is right and answer all your questions?

I mean I've seen several threads or questions that you've posted about it. Relying on others for certain information seems a bit odd for a project like this. (like can GPS coord for each bouy, length of crane arms, etc. stuff that people just normally don't have).

The stern of the ship is lying in a sand "gully" right around 137/138'. The ship is around 10' deeper that in was when it originally was righted by the hurricanes.

It seems like the current dug out the sand quite a bit for the ship to settle at its current depth.

138' under the props according to my sensus....

2941997019_ff9a4a62c0.jpg

Since you guys are making a "virtual dive" of the Spiegel Grove, which sounds really cool, why not just go dive it so that you can verify everything is right and answer all your questions?
...... .

Hi mike_s,
I am planning to do it ASAP ... but right now I am stuck at the computer playing with the virtual version of it. See first look here

uss_spiegelgrove_first_view.jpg

This ship is REALLY big .... note how small the dive boat (virtual) looks like in comparison..... and the "dot" on the ship (above the nose of the mask) is a diver :D

..... I mean I've seen several threads or questions that you've posted about it. Relying on others for certain information seems a bit odd for a project like this......
We did ask Pete for permission to use ScubaBoard to collect info (see joint press release for this project. Since this project is so complex, more people we get helping us and better is.
Once the project is complete, we will put on the (virtual) ship plaque(s) with the names of people that contributed to the project.

Best Regards,

AM

the sand bottom ranges from 130' to 135' with the stern area around the props being the deepest you'll get at 140'

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom