How dangerous is it to dive with a grossly oversized drysuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm *really* hoping that my weekend of diving isn't shot to hell.

(SNIPPED a bunch....)

And now I think my long weekend of diving is completely shot because I received the wrong size wetsuit.

No, "completely shot" would be constantly struggling with a rapidly shifting bubble of air in the drysuit and/or suffering an injury from an uncontrolled inverted ascent. Too bad.... :(

As was mentioned, there are lots of ways to improve heat retention if you've got to dive wet. I'm a big fan of strategies for retaining body heat before and after the dives. That can make a HUGE difference in comfort during the dive whether you're diving wet OR dry.

The grossly oversized drysuit isn't really a viable option, nor would it be fun.... Instead, I'd plan on diving wet, then eat well, wear winter overgarments to stay warm when gearing up and I'd pour plenty of hot water into the wetsuit when needed.

It's easy to bring ten gallons of hot water in an insulated container. A plastic garbage bag can keep the water from spilling, if needed. Blankets can further insulate the container. That hot water will feel real good later! :wink:

Good luck and remember to enjoy the diving.... :)

Dave C

Back
Top Bottom