How dangerous are triggerfish?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Albion

as I remember, your dive buddy reaaaalllly hates triggerfish, titans anyway. How did you get her to stay on the dive with this guy, or were you diving without her?

(pictures scene of dive buddy making let's go in another direction signals, and Albion making the universal "but I'm getting really good footage" video in front of face signal)

I swam over top of his nest whilst chasing down a saddled grouper, then all hell lets loose, i was ahead of everyone else who hadn't seen the fracas. So once im out of range i turn round to see three divers and the DM fighting off matey. Think kim managed to avoid the war

For scale purposes she is wearing huge freediving fins, hes a big boy.

best part was on our day off we walked to far end of island to find the guys from navy base fishing and one of them had a large Trigger fish :)

LesleyDSO once bubbled...
Titan Triggers are very aggressive when they are nesting. At other times they're just like any other fish.

That's what we were told in a reef leacture in Australia, but people from Singapore seem to think they are dangours all the time.

I tend to think that they are like most creatures, protective of their homes but other than that happy fish on most days.

blackice said...

That's what we were told in a reef leacture in Australia, but people from Singapore seem to think they are dangerous all the time.

It is difficult to tell whether they are nesting without getting close to them, which is a bad idea if they are nesting. Thus it is easier to avoid them all the time.

Triggerfish can be sneaky. On Sipadan I cruised peacefully past a yellow-margined triggerfish, looking at it carefully so I could remember the markings and identify it later. After I'd gone past, there was a sudden, violent tug on my fin. I figured one of my buddies wanted my attention, but when I looked round, the only thing behind me was a smug-looking fish. It had waited until I was retreating and then launched an attack.

I still have the teethmarks in my fin.

Zept

This thread is quite amuzing. I have never thought of trigger fish as aggressive any more than a remora or sargent major. Diving here in Florida, the ocean triggers follow me on almost every dive. I usually stop and let them circle close to me so I can observe them better. On more than one occassion when I have stopped swimming, a trigger has approached my mask. I think they are attracted to my eyes. They have gotten so close that I can see in their mouth!
I have more to worry about in the water than triggerfish. A french angel tried to eat my mask strap and my hair, I have been zapped by a lesser electric ray, and seriously intimidated my a very large barracuda (approching him did not make him go away, it did the opposite, so I think he was hand fed).

As someone may have pointed already, it depenmds on the species of trigger and whether they are defending their nest at the time. I have snorkeled and SCUBA'ed very close to many different species of triggers outside their breeding season. Most were caitious of me and hid. However, I have also swam over the inverse cone-shaped territories and had triggers attack me, requiring me to fend them off with my fins.

Learn the species of triggers in your area and when their breeding season is. Of course I adsvocate that with all common species in a commonly dived area.

Dr. Bill

I think Dr Bill speaks words of wisdom - know the animals, their habitats and habits, and respect them accordingly!

It's the Titan, or Moustached Trigger (Balistoides viridescens) you have to watch out for. They can be a substantial sort of a fish - 2 1/2 feet. I'd dived happily with them on many occasions in the South Pacific and they really didn't seem to give a toss if I was there. It was through an account in an Oz dive magazine that I became aware that they posed any potential threat to divers, as one victim described having been hit out of the blue by one.

Later, when visiting the Red Sea, diving literature and anecdotal evidence suggested that they were certainly a factor to be considered during their breeding season (from July through to September, and especially September). Hardened DMs who didn't bat an eyelid at the areas oceanic white tips warned us in the strongest terms about getting away from nesting Titans. Mostly they'll go after fins, but they will also target the eye and facemask area. A good thwack on the head with one of these at full pelt and you'll be lucky to escape with just a bleeding scalp - some have had face masks cracked and have even been K.O.d (never heard of a fatality!).

We were specifically warned when diving the Brother Islands in August that a Triton was hanging around one particular area and was, it was suspected, looking for a nesting site. When we ran into it, it was apparently settling in. We kept a wary eye on it from 10 metres above and finned rapidly to get past it. Nothing more than a bit of eyeing off from the trigger, and no charge.

When pursued by a Triton, the only course is to get out of its turf as quickly as possible. This should be by swimming sideways rather than up, as their territory apparently extends in a sort of cone shape, from the nest to the surface.

I was diving in St Thomas last year, and trying to get photos of as many fish species as I could. By far the most timid fish I encountered one day was the Queen Triggerfish. I saw several on two consecutive dives. They would make a hasty retreat anytime people were anywhere near them. I even commented to my wife how unusually bashfull the triggerfish were that day.

Late that afternoon we were at a great local restaurant called Cuzzins in Charlotte Amalie. I ordered mahi mahi. The waiter told me that they were out of the Mahi, and he would substitute the catch of the day. It was with a shock of realization when he served my food. A beautiful whole Triggerfish was staring up at me from my plate. Well, I thought, this explains everything. No wonder they were nervous - they were on the menu that day! And yes, they are delicious!

I never did get any Triggerfish photos that trip. I later made a trip to the Baltimore aquarium, where I had to content myself with an aquarium shot.

http://www.pbase.com/image/8486943

This is another good reason to carry a larger knife, beating off spongelating sea life that mistakes you for the center of a tootsie pop ~Z

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom