How dangerous are triggerfish?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tomcat once bubbled...
I

a. my divemaster is fearless
b. my divemaster is a knucklehead
c. triggerfish are not all the dangerous unless they are guarding their nests
d. a and b

Does anybody have any idea which is the case?

tomcat

the final answer is d. Triggerfish are pretty damn dangerous! :eek:

I dont know about other areas of the world but as I said I have never had a problem on the Florida east or west coast and see them on just about every dive.
From my reading of this thread I would put them on a scale of 1-10 at 1/2.
A lot of other things we do as divers are a lot more dangerous, going to a shark feed, deep dives 150+ and spear fishing in waters were there are sharks.

I have no doubt that the triggers you're very familiar with are no problem at all, Cdiver2. Most of the triggers I've come across in the Pacific and Red Sea have shown no aggression whatsover, and at any rate are quite small. It's only a very specific fish, the Triton (or Moustache) Trigger, that really causes any major problems, and even then this is primarily (although not, apparently according to some experiences in this thread, solely) during its breeding season when it is nesting. With its size, speed, agressiveness and those very effective teeth, it's not something to fool around with. I don't think anyone has suggested that it would be as dangerous as swimming with a speared fish among a mob of bull sharks, but on the flip side this isn't a pretty, comparatively benign little Arabian Picasso Trigger or Triangle Trigger we're talking about.

No worries, Cdiver2 - I did take your point, I just didn't phrase my response very well! Wrote it in haste before leaving work, and didn't stop to write the 'tone' correctly. Apologies. :)

Guide book clocks 'em in at 2'6" max, but like any decent Aussie via North London, I'm gonna swear they're *huge* mate...I reckon I've seen em at least 3...nah, make it 4 ft!

Most triggers seem to be like the rest of the fish in the ocean. But when it comes to the Titan trigger during nesting, LOOOOOK out! I have been approched from 40 feet away. The second pass, I had to test the durabillity of my Ikelite 200 strobe to protect myself. My dive buddy was not so lucky. She was bitten on the calf and the whole calf was black-n-blue for 3 weeks!

O U C H!!!;-0

Titan trigger fish can be a bit grumpy. I've had a few run-ins with them and seen a pair of divers get some nasty bites on the calf and forearm. Thankfully thus far I haven't been bitten but that's largely due to some advice given to me by a DM in Tioman, Malaysia.

If a trigger is on the attack grab your alternate air source and purge it when the fish is close, they really don't like it and will back off. They may keep making attempts to get near you but as long as you face them, purge when they get close and swim sideways out of their nesting area you should escape unscathed. Never swim up as the trigger considers its territory to be like an inverted cone with the tip being in the nest and expanding upwards.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom