How Convenient

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yup. There are two types of countries. Those that use metric and those that have sent men to the moon.

Yea, and some of them are left behind in the sixties, and have to rely on very old merits.

Today the imperial units in the US is defined by the metric system, so you cannot live without it. ;-)

And as I understand it, even in the US the major industries* have left the imperial units for SI units and soft drinks are often sold i 2litre bottles. wine sold in 750ml and many consumer goods by law need to have both metric and imperial units.

*NASA, the military, science, medicine, car manufacturers and drug cartels.

Fun fact about the US military regarding units of measurement:
The ground forces have been using km (klicks) for measurement of distance in 100 years now, the US Navy submarine fleet measure distance (to target) in kiloyards (914.4m), depth in feet and (sometimes) velocity in feet per second. The rest of the Navy and the air force use Nautical mile (1852m) and knots (1 nautical mile/hour). Most military small caliber guns use mm as caliber nomination, even the ones that have their roots in inches. 7.62 NATO (7.62X51) is .30" (~.308 Winchester) and 5.56 NATO (5.56*45) is .22" ( ~.223 remington). The only (modern) imperial military caliber i can think of is the .50" BMG (12.7*99)

To be fair the nautical mile and the knot is a part of the SI-system. So its only the submariners who stick to imperial units.
(a nautical mile was orginaly one minute of one degree angle of the earth at sea level, but have now been rounded up from 1851.851852 to 1852m when included in the SI system )

Yup. There are two types of countries. Those that use metric and those that have sent men to the moon.
Just out of curiosity, what is the point you're trying to make with this comment? Some sort of slam against S.I. units? Or perhaps you forgot to include a smilie to indicate you intended humor?

At some level, I suppose it is impressive that we (USA) put a man on the moon despite the handicap of using imperial units.

bHA8OOQ.jpg

As a proud member of the colonial rebellion, I vote in favor of going metric! It would hurt for a couple of months as our brains adjusted but inside of three or four weeks we’d be spouting kilometers per hour and bar pressures as second nature. Granted Celsius has the granularity of a semi tractor trailer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom