How Convenient

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChuckP

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
How convenient is it that 1 ata is equivalent to a 10m salt water column, we’ll close enough to call it 10?

Or that an aluminum 80 holds close to 80cuft at 3000psi or “full”?

But, I gotta know, why does an aluminum 11l hold 2200l at 200bar?

Or looking at it another way the 80 cu ft tank capacity is measured when it is full while the 11lt tank is measured using its empty capacity.
The 80 tank probably has an internal volume ( or water capacity ) of 10.94 litres or 0.0386 cu ft
The water capacity will be stamped on the neck.

It's really a joke from doing the math in the advanced classes, but something really dawned on me while reading last night.

How the metric system is so, not sure how to say it but so not needing a calculator, even units of ten.

100cm equals a M, 1 cubic meter equals 1000 liters, all that kind of stuff. Then we get to Atmospheres and 1 of them equals 10m of seawater - I'm thinking those dang Europeans have added salt to the ocean to make the math work.....

I do know it not actually 1:10 but really 10.xxxxxx

It's really a joke from doing the math in the advanced classes, but something really dawned on me while reading last night.

How the metric system is so, not sure how to say it but so not needing a calculator, even units of ten.

100cm equals a M, 1 cubic meter equals 1000 liters, all that kind of stuff. Then we get to Atmospheres and 1 of them equals 10m of seawater - I'm thinking those dang Europeans have added salt to the ocean to make the math work.....
Another nice thing with the metric system.

The distance from the equator to the pole is 10.000.000 meter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom