How Convenient

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually, you rounded down :)

4.546 imperial and 3.785

Thats actually an issue with imperial units, they are not consistent. The American imperial units date back to the 18th Century, where as the British system was refined and defined in 1824, after our American cousins, had a bit of a tif (about tea) and went off on their own :).
So that adds to even more confusion.
1UK pint = 0.83 US pints
1UK Gallon = 0.83 US Gallons

1 Swedish (Scandinavian) Mile = 10km
1 UK (US) mile = 1.6km
So be careful if a Scandinavian tells you the pub is a mile walk up the road!

More on relative measurements.

I long ago gave up imperial

However

A person's height - I can visualise 6'3" but not 190cm

I'll still think of 8x4 sheets of wood (even though they're 1.2 x 2.4m)

Altitude. 25000 feet is easier for me to visualise rather than 7620m..
They actually make metric plywood that is smaller than us plywood?

Yes sheets are 1m x 2m. All our plywood thickness is in mm 8,12,18 and 24mm if I remember correctly
Are you sure the common metric size is not 1220 mm x 2440 mm?

Are you sure the common metric size is not 1220 mm x 2440 mm?
Yes, which is as near as dammit 8x4 16mm longer and 8mm wider than the old imperial sheet

It’s still refered to as an 8x4

Yes, which is as near as dammit 8x4 16mm longer and 8mm wider than the old imperial sheet

It’s still refered to as an 8x4
In reality is is a 4 x 8. There are lots of metric things that are metric in name only 1219.2mm x 2438.4mm

There are lots of metric things that are metric in name only 1219.2mm x 2438.4mm

7.62 mm, 5.56 mm, 12.7 mm...

I never need the granularity of even 1°C for judging the weather, much less anything smaller. In practice, Fahrenheit units are usually used in an increment of 5°F and 10°F - a clear sign of a unit that's not been sized right.
Nah, dude. I grew up in the deserts of Arizona, and I can guarantee you this: Once the temperature climbs beyond 100 F, you can feel a one-degree Fahrenheit difference.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom