How common is it for people to use first and second stages from different manufacturers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just a more or less neutral observation of my fellow Germans. Personally, I am a scientist. I know that a second stage will not care about the label on the first, as long as very basic parameters match, which is easy to check...

Thanks to all for the input. I think my problem is that there are features from several different brands that I like but not one single brand that has all the features that I am looking for. I actually really love the Poseidon xstream regulators that I have tried in shops but I wish they had a swivel on the first stage. Similarly I’ve always loved my scuba pro piston regs but I wish they had environmental sealing. I don’t want to become a regulator collector but I fear that is the direction I am going in LOL. I think overall the regulator that I’m most interested in is the Poseidon XStream, maybe I should bite the bullet and try one? I was also thinking that the Apeks MTX-RC showed real promise but the responses that I received in my other thread about that reg seemed lukewarm at best.

I saw one used in the movie “The Deep”.
It was difficult taking eyes off Jaqueline Bisset though.

Sorry if my maleness offended anybody.

Jaqueline Bisset -- still engraved on the retinas, after all these years . . .

I actually really love the Poseidon xstream regulators that I have tried in shops but I wish they had a swivel on the first stage. Similarly I’ve always loved my scuba pro piston regs but I wish they had environmental sealing. I don’t want to become a regulator collector but I fear that is the direction I am going in LOL. I think overall the regulator that I’m most interested in is the Poseidon XStream, maybe I should bite the bullet and try one? I was also thinking that the Apeks MTX-RC showed real promise but the responses that I received in my other thread about that reg seemed lukewarm at best.

Poseidon is now none too thrilled about any aftermarket swivels being added to their rigs. At my last refresher course, back in 2018, the tech suggested that we instruct clients to discontinue their use.

I heartily recommend the XStream, something with which I often travel -- the second's guts, by the way, simply a slightly reduced Jetstream (the guy with the white cap) . . .

Attachments

• IMG_0184.JPG
    IMG_0184.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 63
@Magnus Lundstedt the Jetstreams and Xstreams like a lower IP than normal regulators but they'll work with normal IP. Just have a really strong cracking effort and violent purge. Most all first stages can be tuned down to the 125psi IP they want vs the 135-140psi that is "normal"

Poseidon reccomend 8.5 to 9 bar, i usualy have all my first stages tuned to 9 bar, and it works well with both my jetstreams and the apex or aqualung i sometimes use. i have no strong cracking pressure or violent purge.

9 bar is just a notch over 130 psi.

@Magnus Lundstedt my Scubapro first stages that I use are detuned as well for that reason, but all the way back to 125psi. Was more just commenting for anyone who tried to do that on a first stage tuned to spec for Apeks. 10-15psi doesn't sound like much, but it's pretty noticeable.

I bought a first and second stage set of Dive Rite regs for a twinset.

I then bought a set of Deep 6 Gear’s decompression regulators from DGX.

The Deep 6 Gear’s regs breathe much more smoothly than the Dive Rite regs.

I’m traveling with my single tank kit right now but when I get back to the Red Sea I’m going to swap out my kit and have Dive Rite first stages and Deep 6 Gear second stages on my twinset thus leaving me with Dive Rite second stages on my deco bottles.

If I die from mismatched regs, you’ll know about it because DandyDon will find out and provide me my 15 seconds of internet fame here in SB.

fwiw, I actually from time to time did cursory internet searches to see if any accident has ever been traced to "mixed" reg setups. Never found one as of yet...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom