How come BP/W cost $600+

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stu S.:
Hey, Mikhail. Where can we get prices that low? Here is a link to a well-respected dealer in my state and their prices.

http://www.diveriteexpress.com/dive_rite/packages/t32pkg.shtml

You're looking on the wrong page. Look at backplates and harnesses. Alum Backplate $65. Basic Harness $42. $107 total. $201 w/ SS plate. Their wings run about $350 if you like their wings. You can get a better one from Oxycheq for $285.

Warm water singles rig:
Backplate & Harness: $107
Wing: $285
Weight belt: $10
Total: $402

Cold water singles rig:
Backplate & Harness: $201
Wing: $285
Weight belt: $10
Total: $496

You can get a complete rig w/ SS plate from Deep Sea Supply for about $450.

You'll only need to spend $700 if you try to recreate the "Jacket BC Experience" by building it up with parts from Dive Rite that you don't really need. Like the Transpack, the Transplate, the weighting system or any other of a myriad of things designed to improve the bottom line of the equipment store without improving your diving.

Thanks guys. This type of equipment is rarely seen in stores around here. That BPW would have saved me a bundle if it was available like 28 years ago. Everytime a regular BC gets significant wear or damage, it means trash the whole thing. Particularly those without a bladder. I have a few in the landfill. With the BPW, you can replace what you need to, and keep using the rest.

Makes sense.

Stu S.:
Thanks guys. This type of equipment is rarely seen in stores around here. That BPW would have saved me a bundle if it was available like 28 years ago. Everytime a regular BC gets significant wear or damage, it means trash the whole thing. Particularly those without a bladder. I have a few in the landfill. With the BPW, you can replace what you need to, and keep using the rest.

Makes sense.

To find this type of gear in Florida you have to drive to cave country usually...I ended up buying online. Check out this OMS hog rig for $375:

http://aquatoyz.com/component/page,...facturer_id,0/option,com_virtuemart/Itemid,1/

They are a vendor with a user on the board.

Cheers.

-J.-

After reading various postings on this forum and comparing three different brands in person, I decided on an Oxycheq setup. I saved about $90 over a similar Halcyon setup. My saving would have been more had I not purchased an adjustable harness. Thanks for everyone's comment and recommendations. I can't wait to dive with it.

Welcome to the business end of scuba - welcome to the world where they make you pay hundreds or thousands of dollars for things that in actuality are neither sophisticated nor made from fancy materials, like a demand valve that is technically not much different from the kind they use in any kind of pressurized systems (such as central heating) - only that in scuba it's called a regulator, or two pieces of rubber that go on your feet, or, as you rightfully observed, a heap of nylon and plastic that used to be called a "vest", but since that sounds kinda cheap, the correct term is now "buoyancy compensating device."

Don't get me wrong, man, you've chosen the most wonderful sport this planet has to offer, but unless you want to spoil it for yourself, don't even start thinking about value/money relations, close your eyes and fork over the cash.

Welcome to the board!!
:D

Careful there! You talking about "Life Support Equipment". :D

pteranodon:
Welcome to the business end of scuba - welcome to the world where they make you pay hundreds or thousands of dollars for things that in actuality are neither sophisticated nor made from fancy materials, like a demand valve that is technically not much different from the kind they use in any kind of pressurized systems (such as central heating) - only that in scuba it's called a regulator, or two pieces of rubber that go on your feet, or, as you rightfully observed, a heap of nylon and plastic that used to be called a "vest", but since that sounds kinda cheap, the correct term is now "buoyancy compensating device."

Back
Top Bottom