How Cold Do You Go

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

down4fun:
Two words: Dive Parka. Best money I ever spent. The winter holidays are coming so put it on your list.

So what's a dive parka, where do I get one and how much?:)

A lot of good comments in this thread about various dive scenrios and temperatures. The lowest temperature that I have dove in witha wet suit was 39 F. I wore a 3mm full suit, a hood and gloves. The boots were 3mm also. After 21 minutes at that depth it was feeling cold and we decided to ascend to a depth just above the next thermocline. After several minutes at that depth we ascended through the next thermocline and then made a slow, follow the contour to the surface and the beach. On the beach it was 95 degrees and sunny. I would dive the same way again, but I would not do so if it was going to be the 4th dive of the day.

The more dives you do in a day the more exposure protection you need from the very beginning and even with that if the waer is cold enough and you are in it long enough hypothermia will happen.

I have been hypothermic once with double the exposure protection mentioned above and water temps 16 degrees warmer and basically the same time at depth. Its not fun.

I own a 6.5mm bodysuit with a 6.5mm sleeveless shorty that goes on top. The label says it can be used down to 0 C, but I've only dove to 7 C. The only time I have been cold was when I forgot to check that my ankle zipper was secured and it subsequently came open around 18metres and let cold water creep up my leg. Whoops :wink:

pennypue:

It has a water resistant or water proof shell and usually has a fleece lining with a hood. protects you from the wind, rain if there is any, and the fleece warms you up even if you are wet. Cost varies according to quality and name but I picked on up for $50 and I love it. :D

I will actually attempt temperatures to 69F, but only with the proper training.

Joe

I spent an hour and a half wet at 48F, the last 20 minutes or so stuck in the water with a miffed computer (long story/steep learning curve). By the end of the dive I didn’t understand nor particularly care what my computer said, I was by god getting out of the water. I went from the boat to the shop and ordered my trusty drysuit. Diving wet is for warm water, why else do you think they made the tropics?

A better question might be what temperature is it safe to dive wet. Hypothermia is more than just a pain, it’s dangerous. Your judgment and reason are impaired not to mention killing your decompression.

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should.

Anything below 20c and i want to be dry.

JustJoe:
I will actually attempt temperatures to 69F, but only with the proper training.

Joe
you got me beat....... 75 is just about my limit.... I was TALKED into (by my husband and a certain English man we wont name :eyebrow: ) a very cold spring once (69-70 brrrrrr) I'm just not cut out for cold!

I have a dive parka also, they rock.....just make sure you buy the longer one and it's large enough to go over your thickest wet suit...

thing that will keep you warm on your SI and will withstand water.
They make what seem like special parkas for divers. One of the LDSs in Columbus has 'em, but I don't see the need for anything special. Just get something that'll keep you warm.

R.

pennypue:

Randy43068:
thing that will keep you warm on your SI and will withstand water.
They make what seem like special parkas for divers. One of the LDSs in Columbus has 'em, but I don't see the need for anything special. Just get something that'll keep you warm.

R.
Couldn't I just use a nice looking, warm dive buddy? Isn't it good practice to stay in close contact on land too? :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom