How cold can I get away with a 7mm wetsuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mtbr

Contributor
Reaction score
I know it differ from people to people, but generally speaking, at what temperature is the cut off point for a 7mm wetsuit?

I've done ice dives in a 7mm farmer john, but that was a custom suit. Off the rack fits me pretty well and I've done dives as cold as 35, but BT was limited to about :20. If I'm just doing a single dive or have a long SI, I can dive wet and comfortable, with :60 BT in temps as low as 56. I have a bit of a chill after that, but it's not bad.

I've done 8C/46F in a standard 7mm suit (semi-dry).

I wouldn't recommend it.

What's your tolerance for cold? What’s the surface interval conditions?

The majority of divers here in SoCal wear full 7mm wetsuits, but then again, many would rather dive a drysuit if the price was not an object.

The water temps in winter here can get down to 51 +/- The 7mm full suit is cold for me at those temps. I now have a nice brand new Whites Drysuit.

As long as your daddy was not a polarbear....
Get a drysuit,you'll love it.:D

Get a drysuit as soon as you can. I am still diving wet, and last dive up here even though it was an interesting dive and I had a good buddy, I was seriously miserable after about 20 minutes. The bottom temp was 46. I'd say the lowest to be reasonably not miserable is somewhere in the 50's--depending on what surface conditions are like, and whether you can warm up between dives.

Waters in the 80s I'll dive wet.

Having used a 7mm suit (*and* 4/6mm hooded vest and hood), I was marginally ok down to about 50F. I could do two 45 minute dives in that configuration, but was rather cold by the end.

The real killer is the surface interval and then second dive.

I dive a 7mm Wetsuit and 7mm vest here in Vancouver. Coldest dive I have done so far was 38-37 F in April (bottom temp) the SI had a balmy 78F with nice sun.

I also had warm food on my SI and I tend to be a warmer person to begin with. (I am one of those lunatics that go tent camping with 3 feet of snow on the ground)

It is different for every body (pun).

For me, a fairly beefy guy, not a thin pretzel, I can do the following:

1/2 mm for 80F+

3mm for 75F to 80F.

5mm for 65F to 75F.

7mm for 60F to 65F single piece suit.

7mm for 55F to 60F farmer-john double suit.

drysuit for below 55F.

drysuit with argon for below 50F.

I hope this will help you to decide for yourself.

What is your cold tolerance? I've dove in 34 with a 7 mil and fine. Depends on how your effected. Where are you dive? How many dives? What is the air temp? Many people will dive the Great Lakes in a 7 Mil. What temps have you dove in already with the 7 mil?

I dove a 7 mil for years until I got a dry suit. If the temp of the water is above 50 I usually opt for the wet suit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom