How close is too close for eels?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Green eels are generally much bigger and much LESS aggressive. I have been bitten a few times by the small spotted ones. In order to get a decent picture of one without a flash, I would think that the eel would have to be pretty far out of his hole which might mean that it feels vunerable or possibly has already partially left the hole in preparation for a bite.

You really should talk to the locals and the DM to get a feel for it. Even a little 3 foot eel that might weigh 2-3 lbs can bite the heck out of you and it really hurts even when wearing two pairs of gloves.

I've never really been worried about getting too close. I think that you would just about have to bump them on the nose to get them too agitated. Here's one who was bumping his nose on my camera lense. He wasn't too happy that day. I was using the camera to steer him away from me.

HeresJohnny-Small.jpg

David

Hehehe...my OW instructor sang the verse "If you stick your hand in a crack and you don't get it back that's a moray!"

Dumpster,
QUOTE: "You really should talk to the locals and the DM to get a feel for it. Even a little 3 foot eel that might weigh 2-3 lbs can bite the heck out of you and it really hurts even when wearing two pairs of gloves."

:confused: Just curious...why are you wearing two pairs of gloves - and in warm water???

I've only got bitten by spotteds...Greens aren't very agressive. Went lobstering in WP. Moray lived in a side hole. Only nudged my arm a bit but he came out madder than a hornet when I pulled the lobster out. I still got my lobster. No Bites

My experience (which is hardly considerable) is that they are not very aggresive.

64203113.RVIDhYlC.Green_Moray_EEl.jpg

As other indicate start out at a reasonable distance, and move in closer watching to see their behavior. In the keys I think they are very used to divers, and generally just sit there and watch.

I got rather close to this guy.

64513118.3guhJeTI.Spotted_Moray_001.jpg

Cool pictures Ron!

Eels will tell you when you are getting too close too quick, watch for a yawn like gesture. It is basically the showing of teeth which is a precursor to the false lunge, which is a precursor to the bite.

I suggest you just take plenty of time to get close. 10 minutes for the last three feet, fish have pretty short attention spans. If you are not moving much, they will forget about you pretty quick.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom