How close is too close for eels?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CODMAN

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi guys, I need a few tips on photographing eels! I'm going to be going on a trip to Roatan soon and hope to encounter some morays. I'm new to photography (underwater casing is on it's way) and have never been around these tropical eels before. I know they are aggressive if provoked and I want to avoid this... For the eels sake as well as for mine!! :D :D

So how close is too close? I won't have an external strobe so will need to get close to get a good shot... But I don't want to get them nervous and edgy!!!

Anybody have good experience with eels and can fill me in?

Thanks all!:coffee:

I think it depends on wether the eels are fed or not. Just like any wildlife, human contact makes them brave, and often times waiting for a handout. Watch for a few dives, or check with the divemasters to see if the eels are fed by divers, if so, keep a clear distance, and don't corner them.

I am not a photographer, but I have had many eel encounters. I have been up to about three feet and not seen signs of aggressiveness. The issue is that eels have very poor eyesight but very nasty teeth. They don't tend to come out of their holes at all. In fact, they will normally retreat a bit if you get close. The only eel bites I have heard of have been to people who put their hands in a hole.

Good news for you. Eels are all over the place in Roatan. We saw them on most of our dives. We also saw one free swimming along the reef - the only time I have ever seen that. have fun!

I was trying to photgraph a Moray eel in a skeleton wooden wreck from about 3ft above the eel when it charged. It repeated its charge twice. My main question is why I did not have the sense to switch to movie mode. Probably the same lack of sense that did not make back off the first time.

Good to say both eel and jim remained uninjured.

When approaching from the side I have taken photos from about 18 inches without apprently bothering the eel.

Good luck

Thanks all! (yes, even jimbo for his sense of humour :D ).

I'll keep all that in mind and also just take my time and keep my distance at first to get a feel of how they react to me! precaution is the best bet!

Thanks for your input!

My OW instructor told us a story of how he was diving with a friend and that friend got too close to an eel. Apparently the eel latched on to the guy and wouldn't let go, I don't know if they have some sort of lock jaw or something but the guy had to actually get up and out of the water before the eel let go of it's arm. He must have threatened the eel is some way to provoke the attack, maybe taking it's picture :wink: , be careful and have a blast. :)

You can get close if you dare but keep a watchful eye for any of the eels buddies who might be lurking nearby. Also, avoid any rapid or jerky movements around the eels. If they come to sniff you or your camera, remain calm but slowly retreat. I have had thousands of eel encounters over the years. I've taken many pictures up real close and have had many eels actually sniff or approach my camera. It gets a little nerve racking at times but remaining calm and casual usually keeps the eels more mellow. I have been bit 4 times by morays. Three of the bites were pretty minor but the last one almost relieved me of my middle finger! The bigger the eel, the worse the bite can be. You might want to practice shooting the smaller ones first until you get a feel for their demeanor. Different species behave differently. Talk with the DM on your dives and get his advice. He will most likely be able to help you out with some photo ops.

When I'm in the tropics, I take pictures of them with an old Nikonos/extension tube/framer. That means my hand is about 3" away. The framer of course was around their head. I've never had a problem, but the ones I took pictures of had heads that were small enough to fit in the framer so they weren't 6-footers or anything.

As close as you can focus :)

I get up close and personal with eels of all sizes during my dives. It would be rare not to be nose to port most dives.

Have respect for the animal and its personal space - just coz you think you are doing the right thing, the animal may not agree.

Start out at a distance. Get low. Move in slowly and steadily. If the eel (or any animal) seems upset by the disturbance, move back slightly and see if you can try again. A change in behaviour or stance of the animal is a good indication that you are encroaching into their comfort zone.

Have fun :)

oh, btw, eels aren't actually normally aggressive. They are quite shy and really like the comforts of home so will often retract into their holes if disturbed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom