How close do you stay to your dive buddy ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes because checking a contents gauge will completely eliminate the risk of a hose blowing, burst disk (in countries backward enough to use them!) blowing, a HP seat going, a reg diaphragm breaking or any other mechanical fault......

Wouldn't a gear issue appear before even getting into the water. The only time i have ever had any reg issues such as the a hose blow was when the system was first pressurized on the surface before hitting the water

Wouldn't a gear issue appear before even getting into the water. The only time i have ever had any reg issues such as the a hose blow was when the system was first pressurized on the surface before hitting the water

Things can blow on the surface or underwater. Yes hoses tend to go when first pressurised but not all the time. Thinks can bream at any time, usually when you don't want them to.
Also, contents gauges can lie and jam as well.

I have seen both extremes: same day - same ocean & siamese twins. Neither seem right?

My wife buddy & I are wuss divers: warm water, no current, lots of vis (50+ ft) & we do not swim far. So we never get close to OOA. So rule that out as a concern. Generally we travel about 10 feet apart.
My rule of thumb is always maintain AT LEAST clear line of sight to my buddy and make eye contact every 30 to 60 seconds when far apart. So when she goes around that bommy i have to swim up to her. But we can often get 30 to 40 feet apart - when I am lying in the sand just waiting for those gardens eels to come back up to get that perfect picture or when she is letting some peterson shrimps clean her hand. Line of sight & regular eye contact is maintained.

This loose contact is not appropriate for low viz, current or deep. Low viz or current we stay / get out of the water (i said wuss!), deep (below 50ft) we are within 10 ft & make eye contact regularly.

We have had many of the normal simple failures (loose tank, stuck inflator, mouthpiece detatchment, fin strap break, dive boat moved during night dive) dives and have calmly survived.

To the OP I'd point out that it doesn't matter which scenario is more likely to happen when deciding how close to stay to your buddy. What matters is which scenario is more important regarding how close to stay.

I can wait a bit if I need someone to help me untangle myself. If a burst disc let go, o-ring or anything else affecting my air supply that should be what determines how far away you and your buddy are.

I think two arm lengths in good viz and one arm length in poor viz is a good rule of thumb.

More important than how close they are is what they are going to do if you do need help and that has more to do with what you've discussed prior to the dive.

As you descend in the water, pressure increases. As pressure increases, the density of air being forced through your regulator increases. More dense air can have an impact on possibility for failure.

Likewise, a faulty SPG can lead to the needle sticking at any point during the dive.

As you descend in the water, pressure increases. As pressure increases, the density of air being forced through your regulator increases. More dense air can have an impact on possibility for failure.

Likewise, a faulty SPG can lead to the needle sticking at any point during the dive.

Wouldn't the initial presser from first pressurizing the system have more effect then at depth and after some of the air volume has been used up?

This would support the reasoning behind having your contents gage serviced annually,

The initial rapid pressurization of the regulator does create a surge that can lead to immediate failures.

The SPG is the only part of the regulator system that recieves HP air at tank pressure. You are correct to ascertain that the risk of SPG (and SPG hose) failure is highest at the outset, when first pressurised and the tank is at highest pressure. However, as with anything, that may not cause an 'immediate failure'... but it might cause damage that leads to a failure later in the dive.

A failure of the SPG spring (pushing the needle back against the pressure) can result at any time. This is why it is essential that a pre-dive check should include a de-pressurisation/purge of the system to check that the needle returns smoothly to the zero air position. I had this occur once... luckily it was at home, as I was checking my kit after it was in storage for a while.

The other components on a regulator are low pressure (LPI) or intermediate pressure (IP). As you descend on the dive the IP components will be dealing with your gas at a density that is directly proportional to the pressure (and depth). That denser gas can also cause issues and is not linked in any way to the pressure remaining in your tank. This will typically cause problems with the 2nd stage regs/octopus and related hoses...and these can present themselves at depth. Failures at depth are more likely to result in freeflow or 1st stage failure.

If there is a problem in the 1st stage, it can result in the regulator not being able to supply sufficient air at depth. This is an air density related issue. It can be identified by the SPG needle rising and falling with each breath. This is why divers should monitor their SPG when breathing from it as part of the pre-dive safety check...but also why they should monitor (not just glance) at their SPG during the dive.

It is true that most 'common' problems will present at the surface. Blown o-rings are not rare. HP hose/SPG blow-out is more rare, but not impossible. However, as you do more dives, you learn not to be complacent that these problems cannot occur underwater during the dive.

If you want practice, try using the miflex HP hoses. These let go often enough underwater to give you plenty of practice recognising and dealing with the problem :)

:hm: we must be doing something wrong.. between the two of us we have over 1200 hours bottom time and the only one of the "common problems" either of us has had was a tank coming loose but the restraining strap held it in place anyway:idk: My life is worth the cost of making sure my equipment is properly maintained. Equipment that is cleaned and inspected properly after every dive ensures problems are less likely to occur when gearing up or in the water!

Buddy contact isn't just about dive equipment failure but also physical equipment (body function) failure. Non of us are as young as we used to be now:fear:

How close my buddy and I stay like others.. depends on conditions but never forget that a cardiovascular or respirator problems can happen with little or no warning to seemingly healthy people.

A couple of arms length's away. I am always looking around for where my buddy is every min. or two. More so when there is low vis. Northwest diver here Oregon. Vis can be just a few feet at times. Know your buddy, conditions for the dive change all the time.

Back
Top Bottom