How close do you stay to your dive buddy ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm really not worried about running out of gas. I do think about clogged dip tubes, which instantly shut off your supply, and I worry about freeflows, because I have had a bad one. I have done the experiment of exhaling, pretending I'm out of gas, and swimming to an otherwise distracted buddy, and I found that 25 feet is as far as I EVER want to be from my spare gas. So 25 feet is the MAXIMUM I'll get from my buddy, and that is only in calm water with superb visibility. If the water is moving, it gets harder to reach that breathing supply, and if the viz is low, 25 feet might be quite enough to lose one's companion completely.

But I never, ever, ever dive as a loosely constructed group of 12, and the reason why? Go read accident reports. "The group surfaced, and noticed that 'Bob' was missing." I want ONE person (or two) who are committed to keeping track of ME, and who will notice if I am behaving erratically or appear impaired in any way. If we dive as a group, we divide into primary groups of two or three, and although we may execute the entire dive together, if someone needs to abort, not EVERYONE has to go back, nor does the person with a problem ever have to return alone.

When I'm leading the way out, I'm usually as much as 20' away.

If you were in front of me, you'd be getting an awful lot of "Slow DOWN" signals!

I've never had an OOG situation but most have said you WILL notice a big difference in breathing effort and have to literally suck the last couple/few breaths of air out of the tank. So hopefully you will have a lung full.

Ive never had an out of air situation either, but from talking to people who have ran out of air they all said that they pretty much tried to take a breath and couldn't and that was them out of air. The thing is pretty much everyone has balanced 1st stages these days so you don't notice any difference in breathing effort till you run dangerously low. I suppose it could vary depending on the make or reg.

I suspect even if the last few breaths of air where difficult by the time i had thought something was wrong, looked at my pressure gauge and realised i had no air i would most likely have breathed them. Im pretty terrible at breath holding so i dont like to take any chances anyway!

Remember this is why we check the contents gage during the dive to avoid running out of air

If you were in front of me, you'd be getting an awful lot of "Slow DOWN" signals!
Hoping of course that they are actually looking back to recieve the "Slow DOWN" signals.

I stay close enough to be able to effectively respond to an emergency. That distance is determined by three factors;

1) Observation/Awareness of my Buddy. The relative viz and site topography influence this. Basically, this is how far I can see my buddy. Awareness is critical.

2) Reaction to my Buddy. The time it takes to get to my buddy. This is influenced by distance, current and how we are diving at that time (i.e. swimming speed or static).

3) Buddy team preferences. If a buddy has a particular preference, then I will agree to that. If they are a novice diver, then I will remain closer. If they are a photographer, then I will stay further out and act as a 'spotter' etc etc

With experience, the distance between myself and a buddy is flexible, depending on the situation. I will always remain aware of the buddy and in a position where I can assist them if required.

Hoping of course that they are actually looking back to recieve the "Slow DOWN" signals.

In caves, we use light signals which can be seen without looking back. If somebody is consistently swimming 20 feet away from me, they're going to feel like they're under a disco mirror ball, for the amount my light is waving in front of their face!

In caves, we use light signals which can be seen without looking back. If somebody is consistently swimming 20 feet away from me, they're going to feel like they're under a disco mirror ball, for the amount my light is waving in front of their face!

I always remind myself: you've got the rest of your life to swim to your buddy if there is a problem.

For me it's clear to stay "close". In zero-viz it's contact diving. In warm water 5m deep without current it can be a lot farther.

I missed Superlyte27 post about him diving in caves, I was invisioning OW.
Scott >:chairfight:< Lynn

Remember this is why we check the contents gage during the dive to avoid running out of air

Yes because checking a contents gauge will completely eliminate the risk of a hose blowing, burst disk (in countries backward enough to use them!) blowing, a HP seat going, a reg diaphragm breaking or any other mechanical fault......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom