How close do you stay to your dive buddy ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

agree with sting.... distance should be based on how far can you swim with empty lungs?
My opinion cant really do more than 5 meters (especially if you get slightly panicky)..... two arms distance is the ideal distance... anything more should be only done with experience .... that or get your self a pony bottle so u dont have to worry.

A pony bottle can help you if you run out of air but is useless if you have a failure in your gear or a sudden unexpected health problem that's not related to gas consumption such as muscle cramps etc. Something that may require the prompt assistance of your buddy.

The other day I had a cramp on my back for my first time ever. Fortunately it went away after a brief period of time and I did not need to seek my buddy's help. It certainly made me think how quick things can change overnight even if you think you have planned everything carefully.

or every diver should be trained to be a solo diver just in case...:wink:

agree with sting.... distance should be based on how far can you swim with empty lungs?....
Don't forget to add the fact that you still have to get their attention and get their reg in your mouth. That could cut the distance in half.
Then there's the eyes air glass water closer bigger further than they actually seem syndrome which in good vis is actually smaller and more further ..
That's a good point, but the way I think about it, it's irrelevant. That's because I don't care whether you call it 15 feet or 10 feet, all I know is, having practiced this, I know what it looks like, and that's what I go by. Giving a number to the distance is only useful in discussions like this, and for making comparisons, but what really matters is each diver knowing how far they can go. Whether they are accurate in describing what that distance is doesn't matter much.

This is like a lot of other safety-related things in diving. It seems to me that there's a vast majority of divers out there who operate on luck and assumptions, and don't really realize the chances they're taking.

When we did this exercise we were surprised at how much shorter the distance was than what we thought it would be. I've read several responses from people who seem very confident that they have a handle on this. It would be interesting to have every poster on this thread go out and try it next dive, then come back and give your report. I'll bet there would be a lot more surprised divers than just us two.

Usually arm's reach. If the viz is good, maybe 10'.

Several people have mentioned viz. I understand that good viz gives you confidence, but it really has nothing to do with it, unless the viz is less than the distance you can go, and that's pretty rare. All good viz will do is give you a good view of the air you can't get to because you went too far away.

Now, in FireInMyBones's case, he stays close enough where it doesn't matter. But I've seen several people who seem to think it's OK to go far just because you can see far.

Several people have mentioned viz. I understand that good viz gives you confidence, but it really has nothing to do with it, unless the viz is less than the distance you can go, and that's pretty rare. All good viz will do is give you a good view of the air you can't get to because you went too far away.

Now, in FireInMyBones's case, he stays close enough where it doesn't matter. But I've seen several people who seem to think it's OK to go far just because you can see far.

You misunderstand my comment. I will likely be further from my buddy in good vis (good vis for me is 25 feet or more) than in poor vis. Poor vis necessitates that you stay close or else you will lose one another - vis can determine the maximum permissible separation in the case of limited visibility. I try to be within half to 1/3 of the maximum vis of my buddy (e.g., with 20 foot vis I try to be within 7-10 feet). Good vis means that the maximum permissible separation is determined by how far I want to swim for air. This does not mean that in 100 foot vis I will be 33-50 feet from my buddy.

I think gas really determines it. Anything else that happens to me -- entanglement, cramp, illness, etc. -- can wait a lot longer.

And of course, EVERYTHING depends on a) having an effective way to communicate to your buddy that you have a problem, and b) having a buddy who is at least somewhat attentive to your whereabouts and wellbeing. If you don't have either of those, you'd better be within touching distance, or plan and execute the dive as if you were solo.

Forget distance - measure the gap between you and your buddy in time. How many seconds would it take you to reach them and secure the AAS.

That brings in other factors, like the speed being travelled (do you have to catch them up?), their awareness (can you signal first and have them return to you?) and current (do you have to fin against resistance to meet them?).

A buddy may only be a few feet ahead of you - but if they are finning hard into a head-on current...and have no awareness of you, then it can take a long time to catch them.

A buddy may only be a few feet from you - but if they are engrossed in macro photography, you must expect their awareness to be very low and expect no reaction/assistance from them until you physically reach them and grab their attention.

In terms of visibility... that plays a role in whether you can initially signal your emergency to them or not. I recommend staying within line of sight. That is influenced by visibility, obstructions (terrain etc) and task-loading/attention. Line of sight + awareness = assistance.

VERY good point if you can get their attention and they are swimming towards you... the distance and time to help changes dramatically! That is why I am careful of who my buddies are!

I use this formula the max distance is half the distance of avaliable vis or 50 feet which ever come frist this means. of course you must account for the divers comfort and I mean both divers and I also require all my divers carry a redundant independent air source ( pony) this is a must in diving like a reserve parachute in skydiving never and exception 10 ft of water or 100 ft of water

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom