How can I tell if my rig is an upstream regulator?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

awap:
I thought about this a bit more overnight. I suspect that I can induce a failure in any regulator setup, regardless of design, that will result in no gas available to the diver although it is available in the tank. There is little need to get excited over upstream vs downstream designs. Unless, of course, you happen to be selling one or the other.

I guess anything is possible...
Wow! Thanks for all to info guys! You've all been very helpfull

-Dom

You mean like these. Dived often enough, been to 235 feet. Bought this set new. I have a number of Teknas plus some spares plus their original metal 2100. These are pilot/servo assited regulators as is the Omega and SP Pilot, Poseidin. They are not really upstream in the classic sense of non servo second stages like the old Healthways tilt valve second stage. In the 60s many single hose jobs used tilt valves on the second. This was obviously an upstream design and obviously was not servo assisted. The tilt valve in the Tekna and Posiedin acts on a small chamber of air that when the pressure drops in that chamber when the tilt valve is actuated then pressure drops in the main chamber iniitiating a large flow of air via the main valve which is downstream. In the case of the Tekna the main valve is a rubber diaphram that offseats--downstream---from the "seat" area when the servo chamber sees a reduced pressure causing the diaphram main valve to flex. In shallow water this can cause a rush of air, overbreathing and a flutter. This was the main issue with these units, they were tempermental and odd in depths less than 30 feet.
The first stage is just dandy, a clone of the SP version or probably made in the same factory since parts are interchangeable, this first stage was common on a number of other regulators including early Oceanic units and a few others.The turrent O-ring is the main weakness and needs yearly service. This is a high performance balanced piston first stage. It is DIN capable easily with conversion kit.

To answer the original question--your new regulator is a downstream "safe" design--don't sweat it and put tjhat old 1966 "Basic Skin and Scuba" manual away until you are ready to join me and bask in the golden light of Vintage Diving. N

Thanks for the info Nemrod. Are there alot of "Vintage" equpment divers out there?

"Thanks for the info Nemrod. Are there alot of "Vintage" equpment divers out there?"

There are a few of us, some rainy day drop by the forums at vintagescubasupply.comand vintagedoublehose.com. We are starting a new club called NAVED. The National Association of Vintage Equipment Divers! Right now it works like this, if we like you then you get in and if we don't we cut your hoses like on SeaHunt!!! Actually, we won't cut your hoses on your new regulator and anyone genuinely interested in vintage diving is welcome. The Teknas are not vintage, heck, that is my newest gear, now calling my Teknas vintage, that will get your hoses cut for sure!!!! N

Nemrod:
You mean like these. Dived often enough, been to 235 feet. Bought this set new. I have a number of Teknas plus some spares plus their original metal 2100. These are pilot/servo assited regulators as is the Omega and SP Pilot, Poseidin. They are not really upstream in the classic sense of non servo second stages like the old Healthways tilt valve second stage. In the 60s many single hose jobs used tilt valves on the second. This was obviously an upstream design and obviously was not servo assisted. The tilt valve in the Tekna and Posiedin acts on a small chamber of air that when the pressure drops in that chamber when the tilt valve is actuated then pressure drops in the main chamber iniitiating a large flow of air via the main valve which is downstream. In the case of the Tekna the main valve is a rubber diaphram that offseats--downstream---from the "seat" area when the servo chamber sees a reduced pressure causing the diaphram main valve to flex. In shallow water this can cause a rush of air, overbreathing and a flutter. This was the main issue with these units, they were tempermental and odd in depths less than 30 feet.
The first stage is just dandy, a clone of the SP version or probably made in the same factory since parts are interchangeable, this first stage was common on a number of other regulators including early Oceanic units and a few others.The turrent O-ring is the main weakness and needs yearly service. This is a high performance balanced piston first stage. It is DIN capable easily with conversion kit.

To answer the original question--your new regulator is a downstream "safe" design--don't sweat it and put tjhat old 1966 "Basic Skin and Scuba" manual away until you are ready to join me and bask in the golden light of Vintage Diving. N

Wow.... Look at the color!!!! It looks like you are always emergency crew in underwater.....:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom