How can I prevent my cylinder from corroding? (Damage to paintwork)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
Scubadou

Scubadou

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi guys, my cylinder has managed to come loose whilst I was driving and ended up rolling about in the back of my car. As a result of this it has collided with other equipment and has ended up with a small amount of damage to the paintwork. Can anyone advise the best way to tidy this up cosmetically and more importantly prevent corrosion?

Thanks in advance!
IMG_4059.jpeg
IMG_4097.jpeg

That happens so frequently to my tanks, I don't bother anymore. I just make sure to secure the tanks better and use a thick old blanket to pad the tanks.

The scratches show "character" and "experience" :)

Welcome to the forum. Remember not all Northern European summers are this warm and dry — it’s very much been the demo version of a diving summer!

Store it in a dry place. Rust doesn’t work then.

A blob of any paint could touch it up. Scratches on tanks mean it’s been diving.

Treat 'em mean, keep 'em keen

Welcome to the forum. Remember not all Northern European summers are this warm and dry — it’s very much been the demo version of a diving summer!

Store it in a dry place. Rust doesn’t work then.

A blob of any paint could touch it up. Scratches on tanks mean it’s been diving.

Treat 'em mean, keep 'em keen
Thanks for commenting and for the welcome to the forum! A friend of mine swears by nail polish but I wasn't sure!

Thanks for commenting and for the welcome to the forum! A friend of mine swears by nail polish but I wasn't sure!
My tins -- of which there's many as they breed -- are all treated as any piece of working equipment. They're covered in scars and don't rust and also don't fail a test as per below, picture taken 4 years ago and the flat bottom ones are still in the garage (now being used as banking gas with another couple of twinsets). The round-bottom ones were converted to sidemount and were moved on to their forever home -- and still haven't been painted.

I did once buy a pair of ancient 7's which looked awful but passed their hydro. So I painted them with some white Hammerite paint. Looked all white afterwards.

IMG_4007.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom