How can I detect a leak in my wing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We just had two well-used wings with pinch flats repaired. Quick, efficient service and very reasonable prices.

Really? Do tell, Perhaps you should tell us your real name so I can research the actual details. We take great pride in fast, proper repairs.

Tobin

I sent a LCD 30 wing to DSS with a hole in the upper arc of the wing. I was told before sending the wing that wing would be examined and I would be contacted about what repairs were needed and the cost. I was never contacted and when I called to inquire about the status of the wing I was told the bladder was replaced and was given the cost. When the wing arrived I inflated it and it was flat within a few hours. When I contacted DSS I was told it could be the inflator or the OPV or this or that and I would need to pay for shipping back and additional service charges, etc. I was also given the same advice in this thread as to how to find the leak. Rather than soak the wing I switched an OPV and inflator assembly off a wing that holds air with the repaired wing. The good wing still held air and the repaired wing still went flat. So the leak has nothing to do with the inflator or OPV, but with the bladder or the fittings. Evidently, the wing was not checked before it was shipped.

As to giving you my real name in a public forum, why? So I can be flamed online? I think not Tobin. If you were really interested in customer service then you would have sent me a PM asking for what the problem was or asked me to PM you. If you want to see what real customer service is then read Jeff Zeagle's post (#10) in this thread. BTW, I think the shrinking diaphragm story is BS, but Jeff was good enough to give the guy the benefit of the doubt.

I am not asking for anything except information on how the wing is constructed to I can fix it myself. Dive Gear Express sells the tools and materials to fix bladders.

---------- Post added December 8th, 2013 at 07:12 PM ----------

We just had two well-used wings with pinch flats repaired. Quick, efficient service and very reasonable prices.

But you are not the typical DSS customer are you? You know Tobin personally, correct? BTW, I did say the turnaround was quick and the price reasonable.

---------- Post added December 8th, 2013 at 07:13 PM ----------

DSS has repaired 2 of my wings thru the years without problems

I could be the outlier.

I sent a LCD 30 wing to DSS with a hole in the upper arc of the wing. I was told before sending the wing that wing would be examined and I would be contacted about what repairs were needed and the cost. I was never contacted and when I called to inquire about the status of the wing I was told the bladder was replaced and was given the cost. When the wing arrived I inflated it and it was flat within a few hours. When I contacted DSS I was told it could be the inflator or the OPV or this or that and I would need to pay for shipping back and additional service charges, etc. I was also given the same advice in this thread as to how to find the leak. Rather than soak the wing I switched an OPV and inflator assembly off a wing that holds air with the repaired wing. The good wing still held air and the repaired wing still went flat. So the leak has nothing to do with the inflator or OPV, but with the bladder or the fittings. Evidently, the wing was not checked before it was shipped.

As to giving you my real name in a public forum, why? So I can be flamed online? I think not Tobin. If you were really interested in customer service then you would have sent me a PM asking for what the problem was or asked me to PM you. If you want to see what real customer service is then read Jeff Zeagle's post (#10) in this thread. BTW, I think the shrinking diaphragm story is BS, but Jeff was good enough to give the guy the benefit of the doubt.

I am not asking for anything except information on how the wing is constructed to I can fix it myself. Dive Gear Express sells the tools and materials to fix bladders.

---------- Post added December 8th, 2013 at 07:12 PM ----------

But you are not the typical DSS customer are you? You know Tobin personally, correct? BTW, I did say the turnaround was quick and the price reasonable.

---------- Post added December 8th, 2013 at 07:13 PM ----------

I could be the outlier.

If that was really your experience I'd like to investigate it. That's how we improve. It would be out of policy for us to 1) Repair goods without the customers approval, 2) Ship them without testing.

As it stands now I have only an anonymous claim that we failed twice, but apparently that's what you prefer.

Tobin

If that was really your experience I'd like to investigate it. That's how we improve. It would be out of policy for us to 1) Repair goods without the customers approval, 2) Ship them without testing.

As it stands now I have only an anonymous claim that we failed twice, but apparently that's what you prefer.

Tobin

Damn Tobin. You almost got it right this time. But once again, the engineer kicked the diplomat's ass.

Did it really feel that good?

Tobin

I fail to see how me publicly identifying myself in this forum rather than in private would help you improve your customer service.

I've had repairs done by DSS. Always efficient and charges were reasonable. Yes, dealing with a engineer who is also a curmudgeon is irritating but the service is superb. I take great service every time.
If I want a new friend, I'd buy another dog.

I had a wing repaired by DSS a few years ago. Fast, easy, reasonable. And I use my real name here and frankly anywhere I call out a company or individual. It's just common courtesy. Anonymously is hard to take seriously.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Public / private, either works for me. Anonymous doesn't.

Tobin

Then why did you not say that before? or private me?

---------- Post added December 9th, 2013 at 09:10 AM ----------

I've had repairs done by DSS. Always efficient and charges were reasonable. Yes, dealing with a engineer who is also a curmudgeon is irritating but the service is superb. I take great service every time.
If I want a new friend, I'd buy another dog.

I was not looking for a new friend nor do I find Tobin irritating.

---------- Post added December 9th, 2013 at 09:19 AM ----------

I had a wing repaired by DSS a few years ago. Fast, easy, reasonable. And I use my real name here and frankly anywhere I call out a company or individual. It's just common courtesy. Anonymously is hard to take seriously.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

If you read the thread I did not call out DSS or Tobin. I just made a comment to the OP that unless the repair was botched he should be diving again soon. Tobin was the one that asked if I have a botched repair and I told him the particulars. All as I want is information how to remove the bladder from the shell. Also in my 10 plus years as a SB member I have never seen a manufacturer ask a customer to divulge their name in a public forum.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom