How big is your pony(ies)?

How big is your pony (tick all that apply)?

• I don't use a pony

Votes: 20 19.6%
  • 6 cubic feet

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • 13 cubic feet

Votes: 16 15.7%
  • 19 cubic feet

Votes: 24 23.5%
  • 30 cubic feet

Votes: 22 21.6%
  • 40 cubic feet

Votes: 31 30.4%
  • Some metric size and/or not shown above

Votes: 3 2.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting thread. Maybe would have been better to focus the question more, i.e. for bail out possibilities only, on recreational dives - as the answers are hitting on a variety of purposes.

When I first looked at this question for myself, I figured cost was not an issue. 6, 13, 19, 30, 40 - they all use the same reg & sling, and the differences in cost was negligible compared to the rest of the kit. Then I looked at the equivalent of the tanks to that of a 80 CF @ 3,000 psi, is that makes any sense...?
6 CF is about 225 psi equivalent of a 80 CF;
13 CF is about 488 psi equivalent of a 80 CF;
19 CF is about 712 psi equivalent of a 80 CF;
30 CF is about 1125 psi equivalent of a 80 CF.​
I wondered how much I really needed for a safe ascent when caca hits fan at depth? I thot anything less than 19 CF was silly.

Then I looked at weight differences from a chart like this one Scuba Cylinder Specification Chart from Huron Scuba, Ann Arbor Michigan
Starting with the 6 CF @ 2.7# comparing Luxfer tanks without valve...
13 CF = 5.9# - only 3.2# more but - remember I didn't like the volume available
19 CF = 8# = another 2.1#
30 CF = 11.6# - another 3.6#​
I thot about my old cowboy knees, me walking around in a 7 mil suit with 30# lead, back tank @ 31.4#, valves for both tanks, BC, lights, other gear and I decided while the 30 CF looked nice on the shelve, that extra 3.6# did not.

In the end, it's a personal call - but I still think anything less than 19 is just insufficent.

After a bunch of math I picked a 19 CF...........small, easy to carry and sling..........

Hindsight is always 20/20 so if I had to do it again would have picked a 30 CF.......

Underwater a 30 and 19 are virtually the same and the benefit of much more air........

M
Yep, if I could gear up and un-gear under water, I'd agree. I have to walk to the steps tho, then climb them out later. Eh, your knees are probly younger and never have been kicked by obnoxious cows.
The O2 clean one?
I just find that silly toy insulting, as you have to remove the valve to fly it, so it's only O2 clean on purchase, never again - as no one is going to partial pressure fill it anyway. You can fill any pony with blended Nitrox 36.

Cows scare me the way they chew and just look at you with those dark eyes.......:)

Most of my deeper dives are boat dives, so is just a matter of getting to the back of the boat.

M

Don, why not do two trips, leave the pony on the beach and come back for it once you have dumped your pack.

Don, why not do two trips, leave the pony on the beach and come back for it once you have dumped your pack.

That's the ticket ... :D

This was definitely a two-trip exit ...

snowdivinbob.jpg

One nice thing about hauling extra gear is that once you get used to it, a standard recreational rig feels like a toy ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Cows scare me the way they chew and just look at you with those dark eyes.......:)

Most of my deeper dives are boat dives, so is just a matter of getting to the back of the boat.

M
Eh, they were just a part of my life for decades. I'll always remember the pregnant heifer who got me a lucky kick on my left knee once. Sounded like a small rifle shot and I feel instantly; wanted to just lie there in agony but my brother started dragging me as the dozen head we'd been pushing into the trailer had turned back my way - so I jumped and climbed the fence, and the pain vanished. :confused: Weird caca that adrenalin. There were countless others and they all added up some. One I had to shoot with bottled adrenalin once to get up in the pasture in toxic shock and onto the trailer to the sick pen, then again to get her up and off the trailer for treatment. Sound her the next day stuck halfway thru the pen wall. Yippee Ki Yi Yo.

Yeah, most of mine are boat dives too and I usually had the pony kit up first, mostly to minimize DCS risk from over exertion following a dive. It's a personal judgement call; the 30 CF does carry 50% more for just a few pounds more - a few more pounds in my plane luggage, to the room, to the dock, to the boat, on the boat, up the boat, etc - but it's still a good choice too.
I do few beach dives other than Santa Rosa NM spring practice diving, but I've always kitted up at the tailgate or rental car. Two trips? :confused: Yuck, cowboys don't walk. :D When I was in high school feeding some yearlings as a FFA project at home, I carried feed from the bard 100 ft to the feeder every morning before school, and I recall carrying 2 - 100# bags at a time to save trips. Made sense then?

No, the few actual shore dives I've done, actual water entry & exit were the tricky parts. Even at the Santa Rosa parking lot, carrying my sling in my hand is easier than slinging it before walking. :eyebrow: When I get too old to carry it tho, I'll ebay it all as it is important to me - between my boat pick buddy surprises and my own screw ups. For now, more gym time.

The size of my pony is 15.2 hands (62 inches for non-US horses people).

main.php

I'm sorry, I just couldn't resist.

kngt.gif

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom