How are the fish populations doing on the Big Island?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oncor23

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm interested in diving the Big Island. Just got back from a trip to Bonaire. My interest tends more to macro and lots of small fish of various species, rather than hoping to see a dolphin or a whale. Not that I wouldn't like seeing a dolphin or a whale. I'm wondering what I can expect from the various dives, boat and shore? Lot's of small fish of various species; lot's of small fish, only a few species; lot's of species, but small numbers; or?

I realize there are different dive areas on the island and fish populations will vary. There may also be better seasons of the year for finding abundant populations.

Any thoughts or comments?

Last edited:
We've been on the Big Island in different yrs. in July twice and April. I'm definitely not an expert on when or if there's more fish life one month over the other. I've been to Bonaire a few times too, and there is a lot more fish life period on Bonaire.
One Island isn't better than the other, they are definitely different. There's the different fish species and coral species with much less of both in Hawaii.
Our favorite spot for shore snorkel diving is next to the "point of refuge" on the Big Island. We stayed in Kona both times and it's quite a drive to get to but well worth it. The coral was in great shape and there's sometimes a pod of dolphins that hangs out in the bay by "point of refuge"
On Bonaire there's Washington Park area to visit and small towns. 0n the Big Island there are many towns and sites to see. There's the Volcano both at the top by Volcano House and the bottom near shore where the volcano's lava is meeting the ocean, there's water falls and beaches to find as the Island is much much bigger than Bonaire.
Image124.jpg

Image094-1.jpg

Akaka.jpg

Image084.jpg

File0312.jpg

File0309.jpg

File0308.jpg

Hawaii diving isn't my favorite because I just prefer more color and corals over rocky reefs. But one of the things I do like about it is that you see fish and critters you don't see other places. We've also had a fair share of dives there where we did see whales, sharks, (huge) turtles, and mantas. While I love macro life, I tend not to remember most of those dives individually. But I remember many dives I've done in Hawaii because of the big guy that showed up or some other uniqueness. (Ok, some of the unique dives involved way too close encounters with sharks, or seeing sky all the way under the dive boat because the waves were so big it got seriously airborne, but still...)

Hawaii and Caribbean diving are slightly different animals. Hawaii doesn't have big colorful sponges or sea fans and such, but it does have nice hard corals. You'll primarily see about 7 species of hard corals. The Big Island has more healthy live coral reef than the other Hawaiian islands NOAA - National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration - New NOAA Maps Show Big Island Has Most Live Coral of Main Hawaiian Islands and depending on the spot you can be wowed or disappointed in the coral structure in comparison to what you've probably already seen.

Hawaii doesn't generally offer big shoals of fish, but it has several hundred species, 25-30% of which are not found anywhere else in the world. You'll regularly see about 20 some odd species of butterflyfish, 20 some odd species of surgeonfish/tangs, about 10 species of triggerfish, and 40 some odd species of wrasses, as well as lots of other types of fish. We get some people who are really into the fish and are used to diving the Caribbean and just love the variety we have here. We have little in the way of "big" fish other than the mantas and the occasional shark or jack. Hawaii is a geologically young island chain so we're not loaded with apex predators. We do have a small grouper (call it 18-20 inches) that was introduced back in the 50's and is now a pest.

The Big Island is interesting for diving because nearly every site offers deep water dropoffs and shallow reef, so you can get a lot of variety on any single dive. There really is no "season" when it comes to spotting fish, the fish are here all of the time. Spring and early fall do seem to be a particularly good time for juveniles of many of the species, but other than that you're not really likely to notice any major differences in fish populations from one time of year to another.

I hope this helps. Hawaii diving can be real interesting if you're into looking for new oddities you haven't seen yet.

Aloha,

Hawaii and Caribbean diving are slightly different animals. Hawaii doesn't have big colorful sponges or sea fans and such, but it does have nice hard corals. You'll primarily see about 7 species of hard corals. The Big Island has more healthy live coral reef than the other Hawaiian islands NOAA - National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration - New NOAA Maps Show Big Island Has Most Live Coral of Main Hawaiian Islands and depending on the spot you can be wowed or disappointed in the coral structure in comparison to what you've probably already seen.

Hawaii doesn't generally offer big shoals of fish, but it has several hundred species, 25-30% of which are not found anywhere else in the world. You'll regularly see about 20 some odd species of butterflyfish, 20 some odd species of surgeonfish/tangs, about 10 species of triggerfish, and 40 some odd species of wrasses, as well as lots of other types of fish. We get some people who are really into the fish and are used to diving the Caribbean and just love the variety we have here. We have little in the way of "big" fish other than the mantas and the occasional shark or jack. Hawaii is a geologically young island chain so we're not loaded with apex predators. We do have a small grouper (call it 18-20 inches) that was introduced back in the 50's and is now a pest.

The Big Island is interesting for diving because nearly every site offers deep water dropoffs and shallow reef, so you can get a lot of variety on any single dive. There really is no "season" when it comes to spotting fish, the fish are here all of the time. Spring and early fall do seem to be a particularly good time for juveniles of many of the species, but other than that you're not really likely to notice any major differences in fish populations from one time of year to another.

I hope this helps. Hawaii diving can be real interesting if you're into looking for new oddities you haven't seen yet.

Aloha,

Thanks Steve,

Actually, I've been to Hawaii once about 2 yrs ago for a week long visit and snorkeled Hanauma Bay 4 times. Once I found it, I couldn't stop going there...daily. I thought the fish life there was great...don't know if it's like that anywhere else in Hawaii.

Anyway, my snorkel adventure at Hanauma led to my planning a subsequent trip to Bonaire for snorkeling...and prior to going on that trip, I decided to try scuba diving to see what I was missing. I was so glad I had done so because Hurricane Omar did some damage to the near shore environment on Bonaire and the diving was better than the snorkeling. Still is. That first dive trip was early 2009. I'm just back, last Sunday, from a second trip to Bonaire. I did 48 dives there, all shore dives. Since the Kona coast has some reputation for shore diving, I'm interested. That said, I have no problem with boat diving if that gets me to sites that can't be reached easily from shore. I consider myself a novice diver and must admit that I haven't done any diving from a boat in high seas...so, I'm not sure how well I would handle that aspect.

My interests include fish and photography, and Hawaii does have some very interesting and colorful species. Bonaire does not have a lot of large, pelagic species frequenting the reef...not that I saw. Every so many dives, there was a tarpon or a large Cubera Snapper. Mostly, I concentrated on the smaller species.

Dan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom