How are gas prices and inflation going to affect your diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think it was Pennsylvania that was figuring out how to charge EV road tax...
EV are not cheaper. In many ways.

The cheapest is the one you own.
Drives me nuts people can't understand the inputs that need to go into building a vehicle from new to the time it gets recycled.... (oh ya lithium batteries are not recyclable)

My favorite is the "buy an EV since gas prices are so high." The folks having the hardest time with the high gas prices probably aren't going to be able to afford an EV.

My favorite is the "buy an EV since gas prices are so high." The folks having the hardest time with the high gas prices probably aren't going to be able to afford an EV.
Yeah, I have a long-term dream involving not only EVs but solar panels on my house and garage. (And possibly a gray-water reclamation system, so I can water the plants guilt-free.) But it's going to take me a while before I can afford all that, and I make enough that I'm not really sweating gas prices in the meantime. There's at least one whole socioeconomic class in between "crap I can't afford to dive anymore" and "I'll just bypass this whole system."

I laugh every time I hear this electric BS at least here in the US it take as much if not more oil to make the electricity than your vehicles use. And don't even look at how much it takes to make the batteries with a relatively short lifespan.

I do love the electric side of stuff.
(More diesel electric, with a small battery)
But until we have a much better battery.
Oil will still be used,,, ( haven't seen any advances in jetliners)
People also seem to forget that no matter what, we still need oil. For hydraulics, lubrication, paving roads, etc.
We can't throw as way a whole industry that make a 1st world work.... well we can... everyone better become a farmer if you want to eat, everything comes to a stop pretty quick without oil.

I laugh every time I hear this electric BS at least here in the US it take as much if not more oil to make the electricity than your vehicles use. And don't even look at how much it takes to make the batteries with a relatively short lifespan.

I have always wondered about that myself. Electric power for the EV is still coming from power stations that use fuel to generate power. Perhaps saving the pollution gas powered cars are emitting but wouldn't power stations emit more into the atmosphere because they have to generate power for the EV's? Does anyone have the complete picture/equation to see where the savings are for EV vs. gas powered cars?

There are a lot of other things that will go to save money before I cut into my diving habits.
I’ll even reduce longer distance driving dive trips, but local diving no way. I still think local diving is one of the best values around.
If gas prices get real bad I’ll just get one or two other guys to go with me out to the coast and we can split the gas.

I have always wondered about that myself. Electric power for the EV is still coming from power stations that use fuel to generate power. Perhaps saving the pollution gas powered cars are emitting but wouldn't power stations emit more into the atmosphere because they have to generate power for the EV's? Does anyone have the complete picture/equation to see where the savings are for EV vs. gas powered cars?

Nope if anything even worse. They just burn oil to make electricity. These are called carno engines and are really inefficient.

Just like catalytic converters piss me off.

I just read an article which I can't find.
How the cost over a lifetime comparing gas, hybrid, and EVs
It was counting energy for manufacturing, fuel and maintenance... over a lifetime, whatever that means... basically the hybrid won out,
Because battery and battery life is so expensive and manufacturing intensive...

Electric production should be cleaner, because it stationary and good scrubber technology can be used,
But remember transportation of energy on the grid is not free,
there are inefficiencies.... let say 80-85% for each conversion plus line losses.
There is a minimum of 3 step up to step down transformers before it reaches your house, then a step to the EV charger then into the inefficient battery. Then 85% loss to the motors....

It is true oil needs to be pumped processed and shipped. But it is way more energy dense...

I don't consider nuclear to be green. Considering know one knows what to do with the waste....
Same as lithium batteries...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom