How are gas prices and inflation going to affect your diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How do we know? We expect the worst is yet to come.

Was $75 in gas last Sunday to drive to and from. $135 for the charter (up from $120), and a fuel surcharge was $8.

I won't get out this year like I did last year. It sucks. We'll dive the local little hole we always do, but it's not really interesting. It's just to get wet and to get away. The kids make it fun though.

Sure miss last year... and this is gouging.

Bought an electric car when gas prices passed the equivalent of 10usd for a gallon here, so that won't affect my diving any longer.
Salary increases faster than inflation so I don't see that affecting my diving either.

Since it’s over 3 hours to Monterey I’m just spending a little more time on conditions being worth it, drive slower.

It is amazing to think about. At one point in Spring\Summer of 2020, I filled up for $1.27 a gallon on the way home from an Ohio quarry. Now, it's pushing $5. In answer to the OP question, though, it probably won't affect my roughly every other week trips to the quarries.

Don't worry guys, there is more where gas came from so continue to drive more, fly more, burn more, enjoy life more and we will pump more for your pleasure (I need more $$ to buy the DPV).

In any case, the closely related fuel cost and inflation (reduced value of money) is another blow to the recreational diving industry suffering from more than two years of pandemic shutdowns. It will be interesting and sad to watch the businesses that close and merge.

I don't see electric charter boats or commercial aircraft in the foreseeable future. Besides, electricity costs are also insane. It is cheaper to buy gas than use plug-in hybrids in some parts of the US. Top that off with capacity limitations of the grid and the energy future looks pretty bleak

A lot more local freediving seems to be the future.

In any case, the closely related fuel cost and inflation (reduced value of money) is another blow to the recreational diving industry suffering from more than two years of pandemic shutdowns. It will be interesting and sad to watch the businesses that close and merge.

I don't see electric charter boats or commercial aircraft in the foreseeable future. Besides, electricity costs are also insane. It is cheaper to buy gas than use plug-in hybrids in some parts of the US. Top that off with capacity limitations of the grid and the energy future looks pretty bleak

A lot more local freediving seems to be the future.
One can make their own fuel for an electric car. People can find work if they want it and the pay is much higher than it was, once people get used to the new pricing they will continue to entertain themselves.

I'm just going to install a sail on my rib and pretend everything is fine.
Btw, here in Croatia right now it's 7.38 usd per gallon but our average annual income is at around 7k dollars. I see a lot of bicycles in our future.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom