How are gas prices and inflation going to affect your diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Closest dive sites are 15 to 30 minutes away, others are 1-2 hours. Went up to Vancouver Island two weeks ago, $90 in fuel roundtrip (plus $180 CAD roundtrip for the BC ferry to Nanaimo and back), well worth the cost for a long weekend of diving.

It's going to be so expensive- people will go chase after other hobbies/ interests.

I still say scuba is a sport that's maturing more and more...and if the recession hits in Q4 of this year - look for divers to start selling off dive gear en masse.

That's the first thing to go when times get rough - the play stuff.
I remember 2009 like it was just last week.

Gas prices over here are like 10$ a gallon, luckily work pays for it. It doesn’t affect my diving 😀

Just wondering if anybody feels that the current surge of gas prices and maybe to a lesser extent inflation will affect your diving?
Yes. I am sitting in STL at the moment, waiting to board a flight to Phoenix for a week-long conference. I had been considering driving (from central MO), so that I could continue on to SoCal to dive, finally, the kelp forests, long on my bucket list. (I was hoping to take my just-certified college student with.) However, because of all the increased costs associated with higher fuel prices, I decided against.

rx7diver

Gas prices over here are like 10$ a gallon

This local gas station is always way more expensive that others in the area (like 10 miles/16km north), but they are pretty close to $10USD/gallon. Most stations are closer to $6.50 thanks to California's gas taxes and higher cost of doing business.

Mendocino County: Where You’ll Find the Most Expensive Gallon of Gas in US History at $9.45 Per Gallon

A lot of pumps in the US will require replacing their displays, or switching to Liters, to sell above $9.99/gallon. This is because most pumps can't handle the additional digit. The same thing happened in the 1980s and the price of gas went above $1/gallon.

This local gas station is always way more expensive that others in the area (like 10 miles/16km north), but they are pretty close to $10USD/gallon. Most stations are closer to $6.50 thanks to California's gas taxes and higher cost of doing business.

Mendocino County: Where You’ll Find the Most Expensive Gallon of Gas in US History at $9.45 Per Gallon

A lot of pumps in the US will require replacing their displays, or switching to Liters, to sell above $9.99/gallon. This is because most pumps can't handle the additional digit. The same thing happened in the 1980s and the price of gas went above $1/gallon.
They’ll probably price it per quart.
Too bad my truck doesn’t run on Jet-A fuel. One of my customers is a jet fuel tanker truck company and they are always offering me free jet fuel to use as paint thinner/cleaner etc. it’s basically the last 5 gallon clean out/pour-off from the lines of a 7000 gal tank trailer, which is nothing. Jet is basically just very clean refined kerosene with no oily residue and no additives. It’s pure petroleum.

Too bad my truck doesn’t run on Jet-A fuel.

If trucks did, the state would add red dye to Av-Gas like they do with diesel for off-road use so they can tax it.

There will be a lot of shocked EV owners when the governments figure out they are getting a free-ride on road taxes. California road tax is currently $0.529/gallon and Federal tax is $0.184/gallon.

I think it was Pennsylvania that was figuring out how to charge EV road tax...
EV are not cheaper. In many ways.

The cheapest is the one you own.
Drives me nuts people can't understand the inputs that need to go into building a vehicle from new to the time it gets recycled.... (oh ya lithium batteries are not recyclable)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom