How are gas prices and inflation going to affect your diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Expect shorter boat rides and closer dive sites where the op has choices between long and short distance dive sites

Living in Manhattan public transportation can take us anywhere from the beach to good hiking.
Can anyone explain to me how someone uses public transport and dives with there own gear?

This hillbilly went to California once in his life. And I had free tanks, a vehicle and a place to stay for free.

Most places it was a bit of a trek to get into the water,.... but what totally annoyed me was going to Catalina for a day on the ferry.... lugging 2 aluminum tanks and all my gear by hand. And can't remember but some reason had to hoof it for some of the way to the tourist site.

I mean if I knew that I would get a wheelbarrow or a highly modified dolly.
So I don't know how you would dive without a vehicle...

I bought an RV and was going to do some travel. Now, I'm not so sure. This thing gets 7mpg on a GOOD day, but first time I drove it empty and without a car in tow, I got 5mpg. Even TX will be hitting $5/gallon or higher soon enough, so I'm probably looking at $1/mile, not including wear-and-tear. A 1-way trip from central-TX to south-FL might be about $1500? Southern-CA would also be $1500 in gas. Maybe I'll do something like 200 miles at a time, and spend 1-month, and then hop again.

You can buy these folding-carts, that supposedly handle up to 300lbs. Although you might have to look carefully at reviews, my dive-buddy had one, which fell apart after about 1-year of use.

Can anyone explain to me how someone uses public transport and dives with there own gear?

This hillbilly went to California once in his life. And I had free tanks, a vehicle and a place to stay for free.

Most places it was a bit of a trek to get into the water,.... but what totally annoyed me was going to Catalina for a day on the ferry.... lugging 2 aluminum tanks and all my gear by hand. And can't remember but some reason had to hoof it for some of the way to the tourist site.

For charter dives they provide tanks and weights. Its a short cab ride from the LIRR station.

We usually have a van that's part of the trip cost from the LDS for quarry dives.

I don't have one but I do rely on them.

You can buy these folding-carts, that supposedly handle up to 300lbs. Although you might have to look carefully at reviews, my dive-buddy had one, which fell apart after about 1-year of use.
Get a cart with the fat wheels. Mine is two years old and I abuse the hell out of it. Still going pretty strong. The less sturdy ones with skinny wheels needing replacing every year, but I’m hard on mine.

I bought an RV and was going to do some travel. Now, I'm not so sure. This thing gets 7mpg on a GOOD day, but first time I drove it empty and without a car in tow, I got 5mpg. Even TX will be hitting $5/gallon or higher soon enough, so I'm probably looking at $1/mile, not including wear-and-tear. A 1-way trip from central-TX to south-FL might be about $1500? Southern-CA would also be $1500 in gas. Maybe I'll do something like 200 miles at a time, and spend 1-month, and then hop again.
That is why I almost exclusively recommend truck and trailer. A new fully loaded 3500 is about $75-80k, nice 32 ft trailer is $50k ish and you have a fantastic truck for anything you need and a dedicated trailer/ home away from home. A comparable diesel pusher class A motor home is 150+ for a basic layout

Wow 5mpg that seem not right....
What size is it and what motor....?
Even a tractor trailer gets better than that on average...

Wow 5mpg that seem not right....
What size is it and what motor....?
Even a tractor trailer gets better than that.
5-6 for an E350 or E450 isn't unheard-of for~ 30 ft class C motor homes. My parents had them growing up and the gassers were always crap for mileage. That's reason #2 I'll stick with truck and trailer. #1 is that there is almost always something wrong with the damn thing when you go to leave. Registration is also more expensive vs a trailer.

#1 is that there is almost always something wrong with the damn thing when you go to leave.
That is very true... another engine, another transmission that doesn't work...
There is enough things in RVs that don't want to work.😄
But with proper gearing it should be not that bad.. my uncle has a big one ( not class A)with the v10. And loves it, over the stupid new diesels

Back
Top Bottom