How are gas prices and inflation going to affect your diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

5-6 for an E350 or E450 isn't unheard-of for~ 30 ft class C motor homes. My parents had them growing up and the gassers were always crap for mileage. That's reason #2 I'll stick with truck and trailer. #1 is that there is almost always something wrong with the damn thing when you go to leave. Registration is also more expensive vs a trailer.
Are you trying to dox me? Hah, j/k. However, this is a pretty good description of what I have. V10 E350. It has a towing transmission, but somehow the sticker says practically no towing capacity. My car is a RWD sports-car, so shouldn't be flat-towed. Covered trailer would be awesome, but then I'd have to store the trailer each time I move, since RV parks usually don't have the space.

Since buying it, I've decided I would be MUCH better off with a pickup-truck, and separate 5th wheel trailer-rv. Now, I have to convince myself to sell the car and motorhome, and buy a truck + 5th wheel instead. The alternative is replacing the car with a "toy" (Polaris RZR or something similar), towed behind the motorhome. Also vehicle-maintenance is a pain, you have to take it to a place that services commercial-trucks usually.

Also, in terms of RVs, trailers are SO much cheaper, common, and usually more spacious than an equivalent motorhome. For what I paid, I could easily swap for a newer pickup truck, larger/nicer RV-trailer, and have money-left over. Whenever I arrive somewhere, I detach the truck, and have a vehicle I can actually use; versus a motorhome you would prefer to not move if you don't have to.

I love the Tab teardrop trailers - the ones that are more than just a bed. But they’re something like $30K. Way beyond my budget, but they would be perfect for one.

Are you trying to dox me? Hah, j/k. However, this is a pretty good description of what I have. V10 E350. It has a towing transmission, but somehow the sticker says practically no towing capacity.
With a 1993 30 ft class C we'd tow a VW van all over. The mileage is because it's from that erabut it really hasn't improved all that much. They had 2 34 ft class A gassers before that and they were only slightly better. Afterwards it was a Monarch 30 ft class A and it was around 8 mpg on a flat doing 55 with a tail wind. Now it's a gmc 3500 with a 32 ft arctic fox on the hitch. It's fan-freaking-tastic. He's nearly 70 so when my family wants to go somewhere we just steal his setup. Far cheaper than the alternative.

I love the Tab teardrop trailers - the ones that are more than just a bed. But they’re something like $30K. Way beyond my budget, but they would be perfect for one.
Based on your post, my advice is get a used about 20ft long bumper-pull trailer. They're usually fairly lightweight, and you can get a fairly respectable one for about $15k, which also has all the standard equipment (heat, AC, kitchen, refrig, shower, sink, toilet, batteries). The tear-drop ones are only cool for 1-2 weeks, after which you'll wonder why you bought it. If you're storing it, also get a cloth-cover to protect from potential water/rain damage.

Another secret of RVs is that new ones tend to have just as many problems as ones ~10 years old. At least that's what all my fellow RV park neighbors, and RVers online tell me. Plus new ones depreciate in $ fast.

Now it's a gmc 3500 with a 32 ft arctic fox on the hitch.
That sounds amazing, and perhaps what I'll do sometime soon.

Based on your post, my advice is get a used about 20ft long bumper-pull trailer. They're usually fairly lightweight, and you can get a fairly respectable one for about $15k, which also has all the standard equipment (heat, AC, kitchen, refrig, shower, sink, toilet, batteries). The tear-drop ones are only cool for 1-2 weeks, after which you'll wonder why you bought it. If you're storing it, also get a cloth-cover to protect from potential water/rain damage.

Another secret of RVs is that new ones tend to have just as many problems as ones ~10 years old. At least that's what all my fellow RV park neighbors, and RVers online tell me. Plus new ones depreciate in $ fast.
I won’t be getting an RV at all. Not in the budget at all. I can get a lot of hotel rooms for what I would spend on one.

That sounds amazing, and perhaps what I'll do sometime soon.
Keep in mind that some places (RV parks) have an 10 year age limit for trailers and RVs. They do this on the basis to keep rust buckets out. Normally when you call to book a spot you can convince them it's not a pos and they'll let it slide. If recommended any of the ultra lightweight trailers in the 15-20 ft range. Your escape may not be able to handle one of those unfortunately. In that case a tear drop or tent trailer is the next best option. Tent trailers have come a long way from the trashy appearance and junk interior of the 80s.

Edit: just ignore me...

I definitely won't be making as many long distance trips with gas prices flirting with $5. Was thinking about going up to the Great Lakes this summer, but maybe next summer.

Although not dive related, I find myself in a bit of a travel dilemma. I live in SW Ontario about 100km/60miles from Toronto. I am going to be on a photography workshop this fall in Owens Valley California (basically between the eastern edge of the Sierra Nevada mountains and Death Valley NP).

I have two realistic options:

The first is to fly into Las Vegas, get a rental car and drive to the location of the workshop (about 5 hours & crossing through Death Valley). The extra costs with this will add up quickly. (If I fly out of YYZ, I will need a Covid Test, an night in an airport hotel, parking at the airport, insurance on the rental car etc. If I drive to BUF, I can eliminate the Covid test, but then I won't get a non-stop flight and I will have to pay for baggage).

The second is a road trip. Here, I will be on the road either 3 very long days or 4 reasonable days. I will need to pay for gas plus hotels & meals while enroute. Covid tests are not required if crossing the border into the USA at a land crossing, so that is a cost (about $75CAD) that I can eliminate.

I did some number crunching, and even with gas prices the way that they are, the 2 options are surprisingly close in price. I am leaning towards doing a road trip. It has been a while since I have done one, and it will give me flexibility in what I bring that I wouldn't get if dealing with an airline's baggage limits.

Although not dive related, I find myself in a bit of a travel dilemma. I live in SW Ontario about 100km/60miles from Toronto. I am going to be on a photography workshop this fall in Owens Valley California (basically between the eastern edge of the Sierra Nevada mountains and Death Valley NP).

I have two realistic options:

The first is to fly into Las Vegas, get a rental car and drive to the location of the workshop (about 5 hours & crossing through Death Valley). The extra costs with this will add up quickly. (If I fly out of YYZ, I will need a Covid Test, an night in an airport hotel, parking at the airport, insurance on the rental car etc. If I drive to BUF, I can eliminate the Covid test, but then I won't get a non-stop flight and I will have to pay for baggage).

The second is a road trip. Here, I will be on the road either 3 very long days or 4 reasonable days. I will need to pay for gas plus hotels & meals while enroute. Covid tests are not required if crossing the border into the USA at a land crossing, so that is a cost (about $75CAD) that I can eliminate.

I did some number crunching, and even with gas prices the way that they are, the 2 options are surprisingly close in price. I am leaning towards doing a road trip. It has been a while since I have done one, and it will give me flexibility in what I bring that I wouldn't get if dealing with an airline's baggage limits.
Which ever you choose - if you can find the time and $, on either side you have Death Valley (especially if you are equipped for off/rough-road travel) and the Yosemite High County, which are both incomparable! We have many trips to DV, ES, OV/Mono/Bodie, & Yosemite. I've done a workshop in DV and my wife has in OV/Mono/Bodie and Yosemite. Feel free to reach out in DM.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom