How are gas prices and inflation going to affect your diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not true at all. For the vast majority of Americans, electricity is much cleaner than gas powered cars. In CA, most electricity is natural gas and alot of it is wind and water powered.

Even in areas that use the dirtiest fuels (coal, oil) for electricity, remember that you could put much better pollution prevention (scrubbers, etc.) on a energy plant's exhaust pipe than you can on each individual car's tailpipe.

EVs are WAYYYYYY cleaner than gas powered cars. That is clear.

Keep on drinking the Kool aid. I remember parts of my engineering classes quite well. Max theoretical output of a carnot engine is around 40 percent. No matter how you heat the water. And that MAX THEORETICAL output. Reality is your getting about 30 percent.

I'll never claim that my electric car is better for the environment in any way than my old gas powered one was, but it is a hell of a lot better for my wallet, which I believe was the original question.

For the vast majority of Americans, an EV is WAYYY better for the environment. Unless you live in an area burning pure coal, with no energy plant regulation (in which case, your state needs to clean up their act, the electricity is way cleaner than a gas car.

Electric Vehicle Myths | US EPA

For the vast majority of Americans, an EV is WAYYY better for the environment. Unless you live in an area burning pure coal, with no energy plant regulation (in which case, your state needs to clean up their act, the electricity is way cleaner than a gas car.

Electric Vehicle Myths | US EPA

You site the very people who are spreading the BS.

Keep on drinking the Kool aid. I remember parts of my engineering classes quite well. Max theoretical output of a carnot engine is around 40 percent. No matter how you heat the water. And that MAX THEORETICAL output. Reality is your getting about 30 percent.
LOL, check the link to the EPA above. Or google anything on the issue put out by NRDC, or whoever.

I will listen to that over your theoretical insights based on parts of your old schooling.

You site the very people who are spreading the BS.

Yeah, Im sure the EPA, NRDC and basically every environmental organization in the US is part of a vast conspiracy against the poor oil companies and get big kickbacks from Musk

Reactions: yle
Another problem with the EVs is charging. I rent an apt style condo in a building built in the 80s. Charging at home doesn’t exist for a lot of people.​
I can see buying a hybrid, but an EV? Nope. Given where I drive, I’d spend more time trying to find a place to charge the damned thing.​
The people pushing EV right now have utterly no conception how the masses live or they don’t give a flying f**k.​

LOL, check the link to the EPA above. Or google anything on the issue put out by NRDC, or whoever.

I will listen to that over your theoretical insights based on parts of your old schooling.

And as a result because you are not educated on the matter you will continue to believe the smoke screen and BS. Part of the problem actually educated yourself on how power is made, like say an degree in it and get back to me in a few years that the degree will take.

your theoretical insights based on parts of your old schooling
Unfortunately old school schooling
Is still accurate, thermodynamic laws haven't changed...
You can try to throw money at it to change it... but in the end it stays the same.
Now if you lived somewhere you needed heat you could take the 30% and heat your house with the other 30%ish... make a cogen system...

Another problem with the EVs is charging. I rent an apt style condo in a building built in the 80s. Charging at home doesn’t exist for a lot of people.​
I can see buying a hybrid, but an EV? Nope. Given where I drive, I’d spend more time trying to find a place to charge the damned thing.​
The people pushing EV right now have utterly no conception how the masses live or they don’t give a flying f**k.​
I agree that EVs arent a solution for everybody. Lots of folks have no way to charge them. And I dont agree with using too much public money to incent EVs - thats basically helping out those generally richer folks who can use EVs. Better to invest in public transportation - electrify buses.

But for an individual who cares about the environment, if you can get an EV, its better for the environment. That's a small thing, but it helps. It will likely be cheaper in the long run. I know that im paying less in the increase in my electricity bill than I would be paying at the pump. As it is now, we fill up the tank on our plug-in about every two months.

And I only plug in at home at a regular appliance outlet, not a special charger - 6 hours at night to get 27 miles of range.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom