How about the People we meet on the dive boats?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I really don't see what the objection is to discussing what we do for a living. I am an electrical engineer designing photovoltaic systems (i.e., solar - see my avatar), and I enjoy talking about solar power with whomever is interested. I also like talking about playing music, and I have met a lot of other musicians out on the dive boats.

I find the cross section of people who dive interesting; when I'm not diving I'm usually ensconced in the company of people who do the same stuff that I do. I also find the folks I find myself diving with to be in the main very amiable.

No "objection," Gordon. All I ask is that people be respectful that not everyone enjoys discussing what they do for a living.

I never could figure out what you were standing on in your avatar--now I see.

No "objection," Gordon. All I ask is that people be respectful that not everyone enjoys discussing what they do for a living.

I never could figure out what you were standing on in your avatar--now I see.
What is he standing on?

Though I no longer participate in shark feeding dives (& do not touch marine life now or kneel on the sand either), I was in the Bahamas & paired up with an instabuddy named Martina for a shark dive when I was still fairly new to diving. My instabuddy seemed nice & was a good buddy. She also seemed familiar, but I just figured I'd seen her on one of my previous dives. Once the dive was over & she got off the boat, everyone flipped out asking me how I kept my cool diving with her. I was very confused till they told me it was Martina Navratilova, the tennis star! She too seemed to think it was all about diving. :)

That's me touching the shark while kneeling on the sand. (Bad newbie diver moves on my part.) Martina's on the right.
180918_1898081850142_8210737_n.jpg

I really don't see what the objection is to discussing what we do for a living. I am an electrical engineer designing photovoltaic systems (i.e., solar - see my avatar), and I enjoy talking about solar power with whomever is interested. I also like talking about playing music, and I have met a lot of other musicians out on the dive boats.

I find the cross section of people who dive interesting; when I'm not diving I'm usually ensconced in the company of people who do the same stuff that I do. I also find the folks I find myself diving with to be in the main very amiable.

I don't like to discuss what I do. I usually give a vague answer or make something up. It is a common question and it doesn't bother me, but I don't feel a need to go into detail or answer accurately.

I find favorite hobbies, TV shows, dive related topics to be much more interesting.

What's to hide? If I'm asked a question, I answer it! Being a New Yorker, I expect the same in return....lol!

@flyboy08 , if we were all New Yorkers, I suppose it could be a different ballgame.

I'm all-American myself, and I understand most of us are forward in conversation, but I try to keep in mind that not everyone I might meet on a dive boat is American, and more generally, not everyone is as forward as others.

I recall the first time my family met my fiancee's family from Europe. One of the first things my dad asked her dad--after giving him a Trumpian handshake--was what he did for a living. Her dad took it in stride because he knew how American conversation typically flowed. He had worked all over the world and was able to talk comfortably to just about anyone. Still, as my wife later mentioned, it's unusual in some parts of the world to bring up that topic with someone you just met. In some cultural circles, by the time someone reveals what he does for a living, the conversation has probably gone from initial pleasantries to topics of the day, to hobbies, books, music, movies, etc. Not to get too philosophical, but I think for some of us, perhaps Americans more than others, we let how we earn money define who we are. What I'm not comfortable with is the notion that I am defined by how I support myself financially. There are so many aspects to who I am as a person that have nothing to do with how I support myself. My career is only a small piece of who I am.

Although I enjoy hearing what other people do for a living after several days of diving with the same people, I get what those here are saying when they state they don't want to share their occupations. Many people have occupations where people are continually asking for their advice. As someone said earlier, this is not what they go on vacation for. They don't want to feel like they are still at work.

Medical field related jobs would fall into that category. I'm sure there are others.

Americans work more than any other culture on the planet and many here truly are defined by what they do. I don't find it weird to be asked or ask what someone does, but after the initial response that's enough if we're all on vacation.

The biggest pet peeve I have while travelling when it comes to conversation is non Americans wanting to talk american politics. GTFO with that mess.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom