How about the People we meet on the dive boats?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Riding a 2 person ski lift a woman asked me what I did for a living and how much $ I made. She kept pressuring me and I was young, in my 20's, so I answered. She then said that is it ? From that day on, I realized I could have made something up.

Last edited:
Riding a 2 person ski lift a woman asked me what I did for a living and how much $ I made. She kept pressuring me and I was in my 20's so I answered. She then said that is it ? From that day on, I realized I could have made something up.

Shepherd - Chief of Staff.

I enjoy hearing what others do in their other lives if they are willing to share it. It makes the trip more interesting and you get to know a bit about an unfamiliar profession.

Great topic, Ive brought this up many times in our local discussions. I agree with the OP, and his perspective. It seems that sooner or later the SI discussion does turn to the question of occupation back in the real world. Often times there are suprises. One trip we dove with a couple guys who paid for all their dive trips and gear by rescuing snowmobiles that fell thru the ice in areas like Michigan, ect. Thats been several years ago, but was really interesting.

I very much enjoy meeting new people from whatever walk of life and hearing their stories. I have been traveling the world since I was 19 years old and have met many a character in the 60+ countries I have lived or traveled in. I currently work for and dive with a billionaire, but all things being equal-- I'd prefer to spend all of my days diving with my son -- a true badass Air Force Rescue ParaJumper who lives his life so that "others may live"
upload_2017-9-11_19-15-38.png

What was I told long ago? There's an A-hole on every boat and if you can't tell who it is IT COULD BE YOU!

Damn, it must usually be me, since I have only had a few a-holes on boats in Cozumel. I always enjoy the diver that has to tell everybody how great of a diver and experienced they are, and how great their equipment is, and the things they have seen are better than any other's in their 100 dives, while the older couple next to them quietly has 1000 dives together and have been all over the world. I love watching said older couple snicker at the know it all.

On our second day in Little Cayman, we met two other couples and the eight of us dove, ate and drank for the rest of the week! We had such a great time together....a few others were standoffish and that's just fine too.

Half the fun of travel is the people you meet along the way.

On our second day in Little Cayman, we met two other couples and the eight of us dove, ate and drank for the rest of the week! We had such a great time together....a few others were standoffish and that's just fine too.

Half the fun of travel is the people you meet along the way.
I completely agree ... On our last trip to Cozumel. there were 4 people on boat everyday for the week. We met and went out almost everyday for dinner and drinks and had a great time. Going back again in December and hoping to meet many more wonderful people again. I love this Dive community (still have to meet any standoffish or snobbish people.... but what do I know I am kind of a Newb)

Attachments

• 20170609_192915.jpg
    20170609_192915.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 50
Don't get me wrong, I love to socialize; I just don't care for conversation revolving around how people earn their money. Sure, if you spend your time doing something really cool when you're not diving, that might be interesting conversation. However, at least for me, what I do back home is what I go on vacation to completely forget about. Like @ronscuba, next time someone asks me what I do for a living, I might just make something up and try to change the topic.

Don't get me wrong, I love to socialize; I just don't care for conversation revolving around how people earn their money. Sure, if you spend your time doing something really cool when you're not diving, that might be interesting conversation. However, at least for me, what I do back home is what I go on vacation to completely forget about. Like @ronscuba, next time someone asks me what I do for a living, I might just make something up and try to change the topic.
I know someone who has a job that he really can't discuss. His "go to" answer when the topic of conversation wanders in to this area is that he is a Rodeo Clown. If he wants to amuse himself, he will go one step farther and claim to be a Rodeo Clown Instructor, and then he will talk about some of the dumb things his students have done. It is of course all made up, but it is quite humorous for those of us who know what he really does to watch and listen to.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom